General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Mon 14-May-12 00:30:00
Print Post

Noisy phone

[link to this post]

I have been having problems on and off with a noisy phone line. In the last few days it has been affecting BB speeds drastically (in the hundreds) and disconnections very frequently.

So I disconnected all phones and took out the plug in extension plug (which goes in the master socket), into which the filter usually goes and then phone and router wire into that. Plugged phone direct to socket - still noisy. Took faceplate off and plugged into test socket - still noisy. Tried two more corded phones - noisy.

Decided to call BT as I was fed up with it. Got through to India as you do. They tested line said it was OK and I was coming across clear. He read out a script stating there would be (I think) £99 charge if it was found fault was within the property. I said I didn't know what else I could do to ascertain where the fault was given I was connected direct to the test socket and three phones tried. Agreed it was likely a line fault, so I booked a visit a few days ahead.

Next day I lifted the phone - dead quiet! By this time I had the router back connected so connected back to test socket, kept switching phones and connecting everything back again and still ok and with far better internet speed (especially so when direct to test socket). So I cancelled the engineer call to monitor for a while. What do you know - a few hours later I lifted phone and it was crackling away again. But here's the thing, internet has remained stable, and in particular, still faster when connected direct to test socket even though line remains noisy. There is still some sort of problem clearly but I wondered if I might benefit from an Iplate, as we also have very old extension wiring into the faceplate. I see broadbandbuyer.co.uk has them for about £3 something +£2 postage. Amazon similar price.

What do you reckon guys?

My Broadband Speed Test

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Type 1 o2 router, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5

Edited by rob54 (Mon 14-May-12 00:33:28)

Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 08:42:59
Print Post

Re: Noisy phone

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

Hi,

Noisy phone line will cripple ADSL speeds so it needs sorting first, try recording the line noise with callinbox and play this to the engineer and/or for the call centre to hear when reporting the fault.

ADSL faceplate will usually benefit most lines to some extent - but no point unlessline is quiet and stable in the first place as speed won't be stable enough for you to see what benefit there is.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-May-12 09:10:33
Print Post

An ADSL faceplate is merely a neater version of a dangly filter, though most, (if not all), now have a ring wire filter built in as well.

An iPlate is purely and simply a ring wire filter. It wouldn't help this problem at all. I expect you already have the ring wire disconnected anyway?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 15-May-12 00:21:08
Print Post

Re: Noisy phone (amended with 2 photos)

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An iPlate is purely and simply a ring wire filter. It wouldn't help this problem at all. I expect you already have the ring wire disconnected anyway?

Looks like I have wire 2,3 and 5 connected to the faceplate. Is 3 is the ring wire? If so is it needed to make old phones ring? The extension phone is an old BT Stateman (I think it's called. I could swap it for a newer one if the ring wire needs to come off (unless an iplate would do it).
I understand it not helping the noise, which again is dead quiet. So frustrating.

photo of back of faceplate showing wires connected

this is usual arrangement (apologies for terrible photo). This also results in lower speed than when into test socket and no external extension as shown here.

o2 Broadband Standard, Type 1 o2 router, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5

Edited by rob54 (Tue 15-May-12 01:36:56)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 00:51:34
Print Post

yes no 3 is the ring wire start by removing that
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-May-12 07:50:50
Print Post

What is on the other end of that splitter that is plugged into the faceplate, as well as the dangly filter?

What colour is the wire into T2?

Gently ease out the ring wire, T3, but don't cut it. Tuck it so it doesn't touch the bare wire or another contact.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 13:10:00
Print Post

You appear to have something connected BEFORE the filter, it looks like an extension cable and should be connected AFTER the filter.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 15-May-12 13:59:07
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Going_Digital:
You appear to have something connected BEFORE the filter, it looks like an extension cable and should be connected AFTER the filter.

Yes it's a plug in extension. Oh right, only thing is it'll make it even more untidy to plug that into the filter. If I do as you suggest, will the phone (and dialup modem) at the other end of the cable not then need a filter there?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-May-12 14:11:07
Print Post

It almost certainly contains another ring wire as well, which only gets filtered by filtered faceplates or possibly an iPlate.

Have you been using that splitter when using the test socket?

Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 15-May-12 14:14:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What is on the other end of that splitter that is plugged into the faceplate, as well as the dangly filter?

Plug in extension to room where pc is for phone and dialup modem.

What colour is the wire into T2?

Don't know at present can't see as I've put it back to original arrangement (and slower speeds frown )
Am expecting a call so don't want to disturb it now, but will take a better look later after the call and report it. Looks like someone has wrapped insulating tape doesn't it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to