General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 09:52:00
Print Post

BT and their Faster Service

[link to this post]

My current broadband provider is TalkTalk, I'm on a rural exchange and my speeds can be quite sporadic, anywhere from 0.3mb to 3.5mb downloads. A quick call to TalkTalk always seems to speed things up for a while!
I have been looking around for a new provider and BT have offered their 'faster broadband' option to me...up to 10.5mb, with 2mb either side of 10.5mb depending on times of day etc. I assume fibre to the cabinet is in place, altough my phoneline to my house is above ground. Before jumping ship I was wondering if anyone else on a rural exchange has experience of using the faster service, is it reasonably consistant?
TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-May-12 10:04:02
Print Post

Re: BT and their Faster Service

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Can you enter your telephone number into the BT Wholesale checker at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html and tell us what it says.

Faster Broadband may be referring to the slower than infinity fibre product BT Retail sell, or it may be referring to their ADSL2+ service. One has to be careful with sales people.

FTTC works even with overhead cabling, as the wires drop down to the cabinet at some point.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 10:14:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
Got this:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 10.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 1Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-May-12 14:48:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Okay then FTTC really exists. Are you aware that TalkTalk also sell it? £10 per month on top of your current price gets you the up to 40 Meg option, which is all you need to bother with as the estimate is so low.

You are being offered Faster Broadband by BT, simply because BT Retail don't connect lines with low estimates to its infinity services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to