General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Thu 17-May-12 17:22:28
Print Post

Routerstats Lite

[link to this post]

I've recently been having problems with my Netgear Router DG834G v 5 with fluctuating downstream speed, occasional loss of signal and log date showing 1 Jan 2003?? most of the time. I've already posted in the Hardware section re my woes and have had some helpful advice.

Anyhow, I've been trying to get Routerstats Lite to work with my router but whatever I do I cannot get it to work. I've double checked everything over and over but it just won't connect with the router. I've also got the latest version of the full routerstats which also wont work. I'm entering the correct url - http://10.0.0.1 - which was changed from the generic by Netgear support when I had problems at the outset. The user name and password are correct. It just comes up with error all the time. I've left it to try and connect for over 10 mins at a time b ut it just is not having any of it!!! I've tried leaving the firewall off in my internet security suite to see if that was the problem but no still no joy. Checked the windows firewall etc

Can anyone offer any advice as to what this is so as I am very keen to get it working to be able to monitor the constantly fluctuating drop in the downstream speed being reported by the router between 17500ish to 4000ish. My ISP have reported no problems. Have conducted a couple of speed BT tests which give my IP profile as 15.6 which is v good (no complaints) but obviously I want to know if it is in fact a faulty router or an intermittent fault on the line itself.

Thanks
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-May-12 17:31:45
Print Post

Re: Routerstats Lite

[re: maggiej] [link to this post]

Is that the full URL you are entering?

I use full RouterStats with a Speedtouch 585v6 and use:
http://10.0.0.2/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

If you 'visit' 10.0.0.1 in your browser does that get you in to your router?

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 17-May-12 17:38:21
Print Post

Is the telnet service on your PC working, and are any firewalls allowing it out to the router?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maggiej
(learned) Thu 17-May-12 18:34:11
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Yes, I can get into my router when entering 10.0.0.1 in the browser - straight in without asking to log in??. When trying the full RouterStats the full URL entered is: http://10.0.0.1/RST_stattbl.htm. I initially entered up http://10.0.0.1/RST_statistics.htm which didn't work but then noticed the help pages state to check the properties of that page, hence the _stattbl/htm, which also does not work!!
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Thu 17-May-12 18:38:47
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi

Sorry I'm not very techie and don't really understand about telnet. I did notice it in the full RouterStats and turned Telnet Client on in the Programmes/Features section of Windows 7 but nothing else. Don't like to tinker too much with the firewalls as I'm not too sure what to do!
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 17-May-12 18:49:25
Print Post

If you open a command window (type "command" into the search box, and click on the result 'command prompt'), then once you have it open, type:

telnet [your router ip address]

and you should get a prompt for login. Your router IP address will be the same address as the default gateway ip address.

If you get a prompt, telnet is working and not blocked. If not, you can disable your firewall for a minute or so to test. Failing that, run the 'services.svc' program to see if telnet is set to run.

A fair bit of techie blurb, I know, but stick at it. Until you work out if telnet is working and getting to your router, you can't assume it's the routerstats program.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Thu 17-May-12 19:52:45
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

I've tried what you said but only get the Telnet headed box, - there's no prompt to login at all. Telnet not in list of services at all with the firewall on or turned off??
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-May-12 19:59:52
Print Post

I suppose you haven't tried the one that obviously shouldn't work?

telnet 192.168.0.1

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-May-12 20:33:33
Print Post

Try Start>Control Panel>Programs And Features>Turn Windows Features On Or Off.
Scroll down to Telnet Client, tick it and hit OK.
Reboot.
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Fri 18-May-12 15:01:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, tried that one also - even though I knew it was wrong!! Nothing
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to