General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xgamer
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 13:38:14
Print Post

BT Infinity

[link to this post]

Hello guys I am new here and not very tecnical so please forgive me however I have a question. I am quite worried because I have signed upto bt infinity because I have moved and like to play cod on ps3, but i keep reading bad reviews about bt for online gaming, also there is no cooling off period so i need a fair assesment of how good or bad it is pretty soon many thanks
Standard User dazb73
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 14:05:07
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity

[re: xgamer] [link to this post]

Depending on what you can get speed wise you should check the BTInfinity speedchecker to see what you can get although from reports thats not always accurate or call them direct and ask. Speaking for myself im on my 10th day with them now and when i signed up i was promised 57 DL and 20 UP since then ive had my speed go and up and down and apparently that is to be expected during the 10 days for your line to get the best speed. However if i reboot the Homehub3 and do a speedcheck via BTspeedtester via ethernet i get the maximum 73 Meg for my line which is the IP Profile so i dont know what thats about. I would have said for Gaming BeBroadband would have been the answer but they have gone right down the pan the last 6 months with all sorts of problems thats why i left them when Infinity became avaliable and the fact that they dont know when they will be doing Fibre.
Standard User xgamer
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 14:20:16
Print Post

[re: dazb73] [link to this post]

Well the speed i have been told by bt is 34 down 7 up which is not fantastic but better than my current 4 down 0.64 up, I have heard from a few reviews that bt are slowing people down when they play a lot of games and have read some reports of the connection being too good and the lag compensation in games having a negative effect these are the things i am most worried about.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Mon 21-May-12 14:31:37
Print Post

I've never heard of them slowing you down if you play lots of games, not sure where you have seen that smile

As far as gaming goes I've only ever heard good things from Infinity users, my brother included

I'm sure you'll be just fine, many people are moving to Infinity to improve their gaming
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-May-12 22:15:50
Print Post

The lag compensation is hardly BT's fault, more the the programmers of the game.

Gaming itself is a low bandwidth activity, it is the myriad of patches and demos that some people download every night that can result in the traffic management, but that is well documented, as in there is no bad boy pipe.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 21-May-12 23:17:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by dazb73:
... im on my 10th day with them now and when i signed up i was promised 57 DL and 20 UP since then ive had my speed go and up and down and apparently that is to be expected during the 10 days for your line to get the best speed.
That misinformation is spread by BT Help themselves and is absolute tripe. As you yourself prove by
However if i reboot the Homehub3 and do a speedcheck via BTspeedtester via ethernet i get the maximum 73 Meg for my line which is the IP Profile so i dont know what thats about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 05:16:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by dazb73:
Depending on what you can get speed wise you should check the BTInfinity speedchecker to see what you can get although from reports thats not always accurate or call them direct and ask. Speaking for myself im on my 10th day with them now and when i signed up i was promised 57 DL and 20 UP since then ive had my speed go and up and down and apparently that is to be expected during the 10 days for your line to get the best speed. However if i reboot the Homehub3 and do a speedcheck via BTspeedtester via ethernet i get the maximum 73 Meg for my line which is the IP Profile so i dont know what thats about. I would have said for Gaming BeBroadband would have been the answer but they have gone right down the pan the last 6 months with all sorts of problems thats why i left them when Infinity became avaliable and the fact that they dont know when they will be doing Fibre.
BE/O2 retail good for gaming , not really no better than most of the others if the server is outside the uk , pings are not as low as they could be, as their Peering sucks big time, As for BT infinity or adsl the peering will be the same , and it's that and the routing that can make all the difference, fastpath just helps, as for the sync speed, it makes no difference if you get 5-10mbit or 300mbit

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 22-May-12 05:21:45)

Print Thread

Jump to