General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 23:00:12
Print Post

Thinkbroadband and Speednet

[link to this post]

Hi

I have used Thinkbroadband for years to regularly check my speeds, always with NTL and later Virgin. Since moving to a non-cable area, my speeds have fluctuated wildly but never going over a download speed of 5mb.

I eventually phoned Virgin today, and they asked me to record speeds over a 24 hour period, but to use Speedtest.net, who I had never heard off.

Using them to check my speeds, using a line, not wireless, the speed are between 75% and 100% faster than those recorded via Thinkbroadband. The Thinkbroadband tests take longer so must be more thorough, but why is there such a difference. Its most annoying as Virgin will now say I don't have a major problem; when I know I do.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 08:00:07
Print Post

Re: Thinkbroadband and Speednet

[re: macshimi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by macshimi:
Using them to check my speeds, using a line, not wireless, the speed are between 75% and 100% faster than those recorded via Thinkbroadband.
Download, upload or both speeds?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-May-12 08:47:07
Print Post

The better way to record speeds is to use the TBB, Speedtest.net , BT (not in your case) and VisualWare. Record the results but also take a screen shot of Task Manager which give a graphical representation of all three/four. It is easy to add a line as the where your speed should be and then to see where it is not achieving it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 13:08:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Andrue, it is the Download speeds that differ; the upload are the same.
Standard User macshimi
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 13:21:25
Print Post

Thanks, MHC; for Virgin I have to use Speedtest.net. I want to find out why tests, one on Speedtest and the other on Think BroadBand, and done at the same time vary so much.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-May-12 13:27:25
Print Post

Have a read of the threads in TTTS ... there is a lot of information there about the various speedtest sites. In brief, speedtest.net throws away the slowest samples and a few high ones which effectively biases the result upwards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Tue 22-May-12 14:26:32
Print Post

Speedtest.net also uses multiple connections (4 last I checked) which helps overcome the kind of congestion manifest on VM's network but is possibly less effective on BT (Retail)'s.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 14:54:22
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Speedtest.net also uses multiple connections (4 last I checked) which helps overcome the kind of congestion manifest on VM's network but is possibly less effective on BT (Retail)'s.
Any idea why speedtest.net seems to speed up at the end? Is that the effect of it throwing away slower results and replacing them with faster ones over time? When I run it the download test usually jumps straight to 50Mb/s then in the final two seconds climbs higher sometimes getting up to 58Mb/s. The upload doesn't do the same thing and just rises fairly quickly to 14Mb/s.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Tue 22-May-12 14:58:56
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I've never seen it speed up at the end.

However I've been told it "bins" the test into several different sections, and takes the average of the fastest section. Windowed sample, not average of the whole test. Basically what MHC already said.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 22-May-12 15:02:01
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
I've never seen it speed up at the end.

However I've been told it "bins" the test into several different sections, and takes the average of the fastest section.
More detail.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to