General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bizres
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 16:36:32
Print Post

Satellite Broadband CPE

[link to this post]

Hi,

My question is about using Satellite broadband from a customer's point of view.

When someone subscribes to a satellite broadband service, he's obviously to have the CPE (dish and modem) installed at his site and the provider will usually provide the CPE - whether to be be bought or leased by the customer.

My question is, as a subscriber, does one have to source/use the equipment provided by the provider or is it possible to use any vsat dish and satellite modem? I know with free-to-air TV from satellite, we get a dish and a decoder and we're up and running so long as the dish is mounted correctly.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-May-12 18:21:02
Print Post

Re: Satellite Broadband CPE

[re: bizres] [link to this post]

No satellite broadband needs a larger dish, ka-band transceiver and modem.

You can not use an existing sky/freesat minidish. Although with the correct attachment and LNB you can use a Satellite broadband dish to receive Sky/freesat.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User bizres
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 19:35:57
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Sorry I didn't make this clear - I was not looking at using a TV satellite for satellite broadband, rather, I want to know if for example someone signs up with a satellite broadband provider and instead of using their (the provider's) dish and modem, would source his own ka-band satellite dish and modem (maybe from China). Is this possible? Would it work?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-May-12 19:47:08
Print Post

The equipment isn't as expensive as it used to be and can be self-installed (if you feel that you can do this... watch the video!). Actually unless I'm being thick the dish and modem must be included as there is no cost for these??

Have a look at toowaydirect.com as they have options for self-install.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 23-May-12 23:59:49
Print Post

down to the terms & conditions of each I suspect. They won't support 3rd party kit and there are DIY options from sat broadband providers for £50.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to