General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 18:58:15
Print Post

Help needed please

[link to this post]

Hi, I recently moved to sky, and no worries, speed was slightly better than talk talk maybe down to BT moving to ASDL2 or down to the new provider.

I had a BT engineer who had rewired just prior to the move and at the end tested the master socket for speed which came in at 4.5mb, and once things had settled after sky I got 3mb regularly from the socket I use.

I haven't got a PC, but did the speed tests via the iPad, and all was well earlier this week, the connection on the line getting dropping and then the speed disappeared to just over 1mb at best, not even enough to run anytime on the Xbox.

I'm about to ring sky once i put the brat to bed smile but would appreciate any guidance that will help me get over the will to live.

Some stats from it are as below

Connection speed
Down 3568
Up 796

Attenuation
Down 56.5
Up 31.7

Noise
Down 5.8
Up 9.8

Many many thanks for any help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-May-12 21:02:58
Print Post

Re: Help needed please

[re: Buckly999] [link to this post]

The connection speed is about right, and unless that was dropping to 1 Mbps then most likely problem is congestion.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Sun 27-May-12 19:37:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, there was a problem on the line. I am back up in speed now to just over 3mb, still slower than before but at least it's working now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-12 20:38:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Buckly999:
speed was slightly better than talk talk maybe down to BT moving to ASDL2 or down to the new provider.
Nowt to do with BT's ADSL2; both providers are LLU providing their own ADSL2+.

It would be clearer when talking about speeds, if you say whether you are talking throughput or connection speed as reported by router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Mon 28-May-12 18:31:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Unfortunately my knowledge in these areas are limited frown

When I said because of ASDL2, I meant that the exchange got upgraded the same time as I moved.

In relation to the speed, I was talking about what was reported about on the router, I'm unaware of the difference, my apologies.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-May-12 18:49:50
Print Post

In which case if the connection speed is dropping to 1 Meg, you have a noise issue on your line.

Have you removed ring wire? Got your stats from the test socket behind faceplate? Any extensions?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 13:37:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

The stats I gave were from the master socket, all ring wires have been removed, I should have put that in the first post !

The socket I use, is a pre wired one in the front room, this one now gives 2.3mb on the speed test, it used to give 3mb all the time. After I had contacted sky last week, I was back up to 3mb, which I'm more than happy with, but since they have fixed the line fault, its dropped again to 2.3mb at best.

I would like to use the main socket for the router, but its to far away for me to use.

I only know that it use to run at 4.2mb because i had a BT engineer who tested the speed for me prior to sky being installed.

I cant complain though, its better than the 1mb it dropped to, thanks for all your help and time smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-May-12 13:58:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Buckly999:
this one now gives 2.3mb on the speed test, it used to give 3mb all the time.
As previously pointed out, what matters, in the 1st instance, is the variation of the connection speeds, not speedtests.

EDIT: You previously told me you were talking about router connection speeds; now you seem to talking about speedtests, incl. the drop to 1 Meg. So I, for 1, am confused and unable to advise you.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 29-May-12 14:03:12)

Print Thread

Jump to