General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Wed 30-May-12 10:54:12
Print Post

diagnostic tool

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of a program that does (most of) the following?

* Takes a domain name (eg childhealthinternational.org).
* Looks it up using several standard namerservers, and the default nameserver(s) for the machine.
* Does ping for the resulting ip address(es).
* Does tracert for the ip address(es).
* Recovers the page using http for the original name, and for the ip address(es). (That will not be very useful where the domain is on a shared ip.)
* Displays a summary of the results, highlighting any significant differences or issues.
* Shows other relevant information, such as the default nameservers, users ip address, etc

It would be a great help in diagnosing several different issues. If nobody knows of one, I might start writing one when I get a bit of time. Starting relatively simple and adding features as they seemed worth while.

I've had a few helpful comments on BE forum.
* A custom batch file. What I was thinking of here though would probably be a bit awkward for a .cmd file. It needs feeding back the results into the later stages, and then comparing them and presenting them in a simple way. Possible as a .cmd file (almost everything is), but not convenient.
* DNS Benchmark. Yes, DNS Benchmark is pretty useful. I wanted something a different scope, but with its general style (ease of use and information highlighting capability).
* A Nirsoft tool: closest thing is Domain Hosting View from nirsoft which is useful for finding out all about a site's technical hosting details:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/domain_hosting_view.html

Happy BE user for several years
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Tue 19-Jun-12 18:37:08
Print Post

Re: diagnostic tool

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Only a couple of hours to write in .NET although what would it be for? I'm unsure what it's use would be?

Also:
* Recovers the page using http for the original name, and for the ip address(es). (That will not be very useful where the domain is on a shared ip.)

I take it you're not planning on sending a Host HTTP header when retrieving it by IP as if you are then the return result is identical as whenever you request a page by domain name then it's actually requested from the IP anyway just that there's a "Host" HTTP header tagged onto the headers so the web server knows which domain's pages to send you.

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Tue 19-Jun-12 21:52:53
Print Post

Re: diagnostic tool

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

Only a couple of hours to write in .NET

I agree it will only be quick to write in any high level language (but quicker not to if it had already been done, which is part of the reason for this post). By the time it had an informative UI around it (eg one that made sense of the results rather than just presenting them raw) it would be a bigger task.

what would it be for? I'm unsure what it's use would be?
There are lots of posts (for example on BE forums) of people saying 'slow internet'. The answer may be local issues on their machine, DNS issues, routing issues, or genuinely dead servers. There are various diagnostics to help sort out between these different issues (despite being an excellent ISP, BE has more than their share of bad DNS servers and bad routing). A program of this kind could help diagnose where the issue lies, with minimum work, and more importantly minimum understanding, on the part of the sufferer. You may be an expert, I am a sort of expert, but most users are not.

Host HTTP
You are right, by addressing by ip address but using the correct hostname in the IP header would mean that test would be useful even with shared ip.

Happy BE user for several years: but moving to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to