General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazneedshelp
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:02:41
Print Post

Pc won't reach 60mb virgin broadband

[link to this post]

Hi all.....

Need some help.... I have a hp small form desktop pc that works great, but virgin have just upgraded me from 30 mb to 60mb but when i do speed test it still doesn't go over 30mb.... I am running xp home with a brand new gigabit network card, New cat6 ethernet cable connected to a New virgin superhub. Virgin say theres nothing wrong there end hence they replaced the superhub last week. But heres the kicker if i plug my laptop in an do speed test, bang straight up to 60mb.

I am at a loss y my desktop won't get to 60mb....

Thank you for reading
Standard User RapsterUK
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:14:34
Print Post

Re: Pc won't reach 60mb virgin broadband

[re: Gazneedshelp] [link to this post]

Have you tried a different server...?

If you're using Speedtest.net, pick a different server to run the test to. Not all servers support the higher speeds.
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:17:40
Print Post

[re: RapsterUK] [link to this post]

I have been useing speedtest.net on my desktop an laptop, speed is fine with laptop but no joy with desktop

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:25:35
Print Post

[re: Gazneedshelp] [link to this post]

have you ever run this xp dont usually support the faster speeds when i was on 50meg and had an xp pc i had to use that to get anywhere near 50

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 62112/20752 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

[img]http://ubuntuone.com/0oew3MFS9Czb56DD6g5i8k[/img]
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:30:14
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
have you ever run this xp dont usually support the faster speeds when i was on 50meg and had an xp pc i had to use that to get anywhere near 50

Ash

What?

Any of my XP based machines will run at 700Mbps without problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:33:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:

Ash

What?

Any of my XP based machines will run at 700Mbps without problem.

u have a 700meg internet connection ?

lan speed always went full speed but till i run that i could never get anywhere near 50meg on the internet, The advice i got off this very site was you needed to run that to tweak XP to allow faster speeds on internet speeds, im only passing the info on that i got when i needed it

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 62112/20752 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

[img]http://ubuntuone.com/0oew3MFS9Czb56DD6g5i8k[/img]
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:42:27
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

do you have different security s/w on laptop than the PC? there are a few Anti-virus programs such as kaspersky and avast to name a few which kind of skew the results especially on the virgin media network. for example i had kaspersky pure on my computer and have 100mb connection. with the antivirus switched on i only got about 45mb with the protection paused i got 97mb. i have now updated to the newest version of pure (2.0) and now it constantly shows around 90mb. try a speedtest with your protection paused to see if this is the case.

also try booting the computer in safe mode with networking and trying a speed test to see if any other programs are skewing the results. again i had this problem with spotify.
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:47:08
Print Post

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

I am useing Norton 2012 on both desktop an laptop.... When virgin took control of my pc they did a speed test in safe mode an still got only 25/28Mb

Edited by Gazneedshelp (Fri 01-Jun-12 20:54:02)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 01-Jun-12 20:51:19
Print Post

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

Up until recently, yes I had access to extremely fast transatlantic links at up to E5 and when I could gain sole access, I could record speeds of 400Mbps and above. But whether or not it is an Internet connection is irrelevant - it is the Ethernet network and Gigabit is quite common so PC to PC transfer at 700Mbps is about the limit for the disks on older machines.

And by the way you should refer to Mb not mb - they are different by a factor of 1billion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 21:10:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

i no it should be Mb not mb but i forgot to put a capital and you knew what i ment anyway
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to