General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 07-Jun-12 16:30:05
Print Post

Better broadband setup

[link to this post]

Hello there, my name is Aaron.

I am noticing really poor speeds right now and have had a 10m rj11 connector running from the main socket to my router for years but I have read on here that using a small rj11 near the socket and router and then running a longer RJ45 to the PC is the best solution for better speeds?

Is this the case?

I will make a few amazon purchases if so.... If any one has any cable recommendations.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:38:17
Print Post

Re: Better broadband setup

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you're going to try it out, I suggest you have a decent BB faceplate splitter, and use Cat5E cable. It's worth splashing out a couple of quid extra. I would search for the products with good ratings.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User curedtc
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:55:40
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hi I just registered. Easier...

Well how would I set one up. I am not a professional and was just looking for cables haha...

So you agree that using a small rj11 and a good cat5e cable is the route to go?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 07-Jun-12 17:05:31
Print Post

[re: curedtc] [link to this post]

Years ago my master socket was under my desk, so I ran a 0.5M cable to the router then a 0.5M cable to the PC (the router sat on the PC).

Nowadays my master socket is downstairs arcoss the house, so I got a faceplate with built in extension wiring, and ran a Cat6 20M cable up through the wall, through the loft and down again to an extension port, then just repeated the setup in the old house.

Just as good a connection. My point is that in small distances (under 30 metres) as long as the cables and good, the connections are good and with the fewest joint in the system as possible, you probably can't go wrong. It's not as if there's a better choice in that scenario.

What I would start with is plug a short cable from the socket to the router and the same again to the PC (move it temporarily if you can) and see what speeds you get by plugging directly into the back of the master socket. Then start working away from that. If you have decent kit, and you're not running very long cables, the differences will be negligible.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User curedtc
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-12 17:18:23
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I only say this as I am getting like 0.5mb at present and I am pretty sure I can get more than that. (8mb... but of course I live miles from the exchange)

I am running a 10m rj11 from the master socket/filter to the router and a 2m cable from there to the PC.

I am suggesting moving the router to the master socket and just running a longer cat5e cable which I can tack to the wall.

I read on here that this is the best option.

I shall look into faceplates but I am not too confident about fiddling with our phone line as such... Would a good quality filter also be a factor? I am currently using one which came with the router.

I am going to move the PC and router and do what you suggest soon though.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 07-Jun-12 17:27:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by curedtc:
I only say this as I am getting like 0.5mb at present and I am pretty sure I can get more than that. (8mb... but of course I live miles from the exchange)

I am running a 10m rj11 from the master socket/filter to the router and a 2m cable from there to the PC.

I am suggesting moving the router to the master socket and just running a longer cat5e cable which I can tack to the wall.

I read on here that this is the best option.
Yes, you're right - the best option is to have a short rj11 of say 1m, and a long cat5e up to 100m. It's unlikely to make any difference though. It really depends on your line stats reported by your router to see what's giving you low speeds.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User curedtc
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-12 17:32:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

How can I check what is going on with the speeds then?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 07-Jun-12 17:46:56
Print Post

Avoid "tacking" to the walls etc - all too easy to mess up the cable with the hammer.

Use the small rectangular conduit with adhesive foam backing..

Also avoid sharp bends, eg do not take the conduit right in to corners, stop an inch or so from the corner, so that the cable can curve around from one wall to next.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 07-Jun-12 17:49:13
Print Post

You need to get your line stats http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 07-Jun-12 18:16:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I didn't 'tack' the cable to the walls. I ran one loosely through a wall from the ground to the loft. ANyway, it's getting off topic.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to