General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 10:42:41
Print Post

short term broadband

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm going to be in London for several weeks on and off through June/July staying at a house with no broadband. The house has a phone line but assume previous tenant will have terminated it. I have a laptop. Can anyone tell me the best and cheapest way to have broadband access for such a short intermittent time? As I don't want to re-initiate the BT line as I'll only be there for a couple of months on and off, I'm guessing the only possibility is a dongly thing (sorry I've never had anything to do with mobile broadband before so a novice at thsi) Is it possible without a contract.

Thanks for any help.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:47:43
Print Post

Re: short term broadband

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You can have a short term service, we do quite a lot of them for events etc, but it can work out a little expensive, as you need to pay the ADSL activation and cease charge, the phone line is not so bad as this can normally be re-started for just £6.00, with a monthly contract, but when you add all these bits up it may be better off getting a 3G dongle as there can be purchased on a PAYG service and just topping up the amount of data you need, being in London the signal should be OK, but that will be the limiting factor.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:54:03
Print Post

You can get a Wireless Dongle on a Pay as you Go basis, just like a phone.

Check the normal mobile networks for coverage and you can get a dongle with an initial data "included in the cost" . Note that to get a sensible amount of data is not cheap.

You could use a 3 phone on one of their "all you can eat" internet plans - they allow truly unlimited amounts of data although, technically, only the most expensive one allows tethering but if you have a phone with an access point built in (lots of Android ones do) then I dont see how they would know!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 17:22:07
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Thanks for responses which have given me the leg up to find out more. It seems like a simple question I know, but really I didn't know what the term was to search on so PAYG mobile broadband is what I want.
Can I ask another daftish question now I've got the idea. Can you just walk into say an Orange shop and buy a payg dongle and use it right away without waiting for activation etc?

Thanks again.
Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 17:38:56
Print Post

Yes. smile

Rik
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 18:06:51
Print Post

[re: rikbean] [link to this post]

Thank you.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 18:22:03
Print Post

Some friends of ours moved from the Manchester area to Milton Keynes and it took a fair while for BT to get their act together and transfer the broadband connection.

They managed very well with an O2 dongle.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 18:36:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for any help.

USB dongles work well for computers - but if you need to get game systems online, then look at the WiFi versions.

Argos sell the Three "MiFi" wireless router on PAYG for £90 and then you top up for usage.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (due Mar 2011) at THFB PCP 5
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 09-Jun-12 17:55:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for any help.

USB dongles work well for computers - but if you need to get game systems online, then look at the WiFi versions.

Argos sell the Three "MiFi" wireless router on PAYG for £90 and then you top up for usage.

Yeah but with gaming the slightly higher ping of 3g becomes a problem; 80-100msec typically on 3g versus 20-30 on an ADSL connection.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-12 12:19:49
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Yeah but with gaming the slightly higher ping of 3g becomes a problem; 80-100msec typically on 3g versus 20-30 on an ADSL connection.

Agreed - sadly a problem with UMTS/HSPA technology - no solution until LTE (4G) is licensed and can be built, UK is really behind in this :-/
Not all games need low latency however - some just need to see the server.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (due Mar 2011) at THFB PCP 5
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to