General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User akwilliams
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 16:55:58
Print Post

ADSL to ADSL2+ Upgrade

[link to this post]

Hi There,

I have got my broadband connection to ADSL2+ hopefully going live this coming wednesday. With the router plugged in, its delivering the following results:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7264 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.0 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 23.0 db

With the above figures, what sort of connection rates should i get when my line is activated on ADSL2+?

I appreciate that it will only a rough guide, but any input would be appreciated.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 10-Jun-12 17:06:07
Print Post

Re: ADSL to ADSL2+ Upgrade

[re: akwilliams] [link to this post]

I'll suggest that you enter the data into Mr Saffron's ADSL & ADSL2+ Line Capability Estimator and see what it predicts. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User akwilliams
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 17:16:07
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Many thanks.

The checker shows:

Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 17900Kbps to 19750Kbps. With the line under performing with ADSL, it is likely this will hold back any speed increases the checker is suggesting for ADSL2+

Not sure what would be causing it to under perform, but if i can get anywhere near those figures then ill be more than happy.

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 10-Jun-12 17:36:19
Print Post

I've just entered your data and checked for myself. So the predicted modem sync speed is --
If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 19750 kbps
So that is what you could expect to see when interrogating the modem, all being well. The other "guestimate" is the throughput speed --
With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput (result from a speedtest) is likely to be around: 17478
Note the absence of units for the latter figure! wink

The following block of advice suggests where to check for potential issues --
It would appear your line is under performing with regard to ADSL, this may be due to issues like the ring wire, unfiltered equipment and other factors. Ideally you would expect to see connection speeds of 7300Kbps or higher at your attenuation
Finally comes the prediction --
Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 17900Kbps to 19750Kbps. With the line under performing with ADSL, it is likely this will hold back any speed increases the checker is suggesting for ADSL2+.
As you are currently on an ADSL service with an upper sync limit of 8192 kbps DS, there does not seem to be too much wrong with your current situation. Your current sync speed of 7264 kbps DS appears to be quite respectable. Please connect your modem/router directly to the test socket at the NTE5/A and then promptly note the current statistics. If there is a significant difference between what you originally have shown and what is then obtained at the test socket, it is indicative of issues with your internal wiring (if any).

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 10-Jun-12 18:17:58
Print Post

Agreed. I got 8128 sync on 30dB attenuation. That connection seems a little stunted. Perhaps a little investigative work will yield some results.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User akwilliams
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 18:35:37
Print Post

As requested, I have connected directly to the test socket, and got the following results:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7328 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.0 db 13.0 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 27.0 db

I have tried different Micro filters as well, and this is the best that i can get by getting the router to resync.
Standard User akwilliams
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 18:42:31
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

One of the problems i have, is that i am in a flat and where the phone connects, its via a 2 port Cat5 socket on the wall.... So there is a short cat5 cable between the wall socket to the BT Openreach box.

I have a spare one, which i have also tried and get the same results. I am thinking there is not much more i can do as i dont have any control over the rest of the wiring etc.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 10-Jun-12 19:40:18
Print Post

Let's take a look at what is returned when entering your latest statistics. Possible ADSL2+ sync speed --
If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 19750 kbps
Possible throughput --
With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput (result from a speedtest) is likely to be around: 17478
And two comments --
The range of ADSL speeds expected at this attenuation are 7300Kbps to 7840Kbps
Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 17900Kbps to 19750Kbps
A quick inspection shows that you are now receiving all that your line can give, on ADSL. Given your circumstance, you have now done all that you can.

Let's hope that your forthcoming migration to ADSL2+ proceeds without any problems. smile

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jun-12 20:33:00
Print Post

That tool's a bit touchy for the sake of 64 kbps, isn't it? Unstable equilibrium?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 10-Jun-12 20:34:37)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-12 20:34:56
Print Post

Re-wire the extension, builders always do it wrong!

Make sure there is no ring wire and make sure one pair is used with only one wire connected for 2 and 5. Nothing else needs to be connected.

I had to re-wire my flat. I only connected extension 1, leaving the TV point and bedroom off, these were extension 2 and 3 in series from extension 1. Performance was massively improves, before the max was about 4Mbps after about 16Mbps!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to