General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jun-12 22:37:54
Print Post

'Loud Bell'? on the wall causing noise?

[link to this post]

We've moved into a new house and have had intermittent problems with noise on the line.

We've done the usual, unplugged everything, plugged the router into the master socket with a corded phone attached, all filtered, ran line tests and the noise persists.

Mysteriously though, of its own accord it will vanish for a month or two before returning and lasting a few days.

Luckily when set to a 'stable' connection profile the broadband doesn't keep dropping in and out, but speed is drastically reduced. Downstream is around 80% of normal, whereas upstream is halved.

Seems strange, right? Here is the spanner in the works.

On the wall by the front door is a box. When the phone rings it emits a telephone ring sound (there is a bell inside). In addition when you pick the receiver up on a phone you hear a 'click' sound from the device, and the same when you put the receiver down.

I've no idea what this device is, perhaps a loud bell? It looks like something from the 50s and is very faded.

The trouble is this is connected _directly_ from the line outside. The wire passes through the device on to the master socket.

When we have issues with the noisy line the device on the wall will 'click' when you pick the receiver up but will _not_ click as per usual when putting the receiver down.

Given that this device is before the master socket, it cannot be filtered and I'm assuming that it is this device that is causing the noise on the line.

Anyone know what this device might be, and anyone know how to remove it!

I've looked at BT's "Engineer Home Improvement Service", if they find a fault your end it is £99 - but do they actually fix it? IE: if they come, determine it is this werid device, would they remove it and re-wire the master socket for the £99, or is this an extra charge?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jun-12 22:59:43
Print Post

Re: 'Loud Bell'? on the wall causing noise?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Guess it's a bell for hard-of-hearing but dunno how to get rid of it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jun-12 23:01:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yeah, the person living here before was an elderly man.

Would you think this could cause the noise? I'm guessing even given the age of it, even if by its own design it wouldn't cause noise, the age of the wiring might cause it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 12-Jun-12 10:04:06
Print Post

It is an bell/ringer and probably BT installed. A picture would be useful.

It should not cause any direct problems. Internally there will be a ringer circuit and two coils that create a magnetic field to vibrate the hammer which strikes the metal bell. There will be electromagnetic interference or noise created which might cause interference on the line. It will have a REN of maybe 3 or more which could have an adverse effect on the line by changing the termination impedance and as it is before an filters can cause attenuation of the ADSL/VDSL signal.

As it is before the master you cannot touch it or the connection to it and it must be done by BT. You need to tell BT you want it removed and that as it is before the master and their responsibility they should remove it FOC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jun-12 15:09:19
Print Post

As has been said that would cause all sorts of things to go wrong with the noise it injects on the line, as it is before the master socket it is for BT to sort out and should be done free as part of a fault, log a fault with them for a noisy line, when the engineer comes round point it out to him and he should take it off-line for you as part of the fault.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jun-12 17:40:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
...and anyone know how to remove it!
Follow the wires back and disconnect them! smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 18:46:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks to those who've replied.

Sounds like it is time to get BT out if we're not meant to touch it if it is before the master socket, and likely BT installed.

I was just a little concerned that even if it is that at fault then it would be the default £99 charge as it was an additional device that the previous house owner had installed on his own accord.

Additional question though - fibre is due to be rolled out later this month, and checking against fibre checkers our cabinet will be included.

I understand that fibre requires an engineer visit? If that's correct, would they be able to remove the device, thus killing two birds with one stone?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 12-Jun-12 18:51:19
Print Post

Even if the previous owner had installed it, you can ask for BT to "regularise the installation". Can you get a picture of the Bell and whether it is BT or not can be confirmed.

A fibre install Tech, might or might not be qualified to - some are just trained in the basics.

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 19:15:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I thought that might be the case regarding the engineers!

Here is a picture, there are no brand markings on it what-so-ever, just a solid plastic cover. I can take it off it required.

http://i45.tinypic.com/r8y3b7.jpg
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 12-Jun-12 19:39:53
Print Post

Can you remove the cover ... a general picture along with one showing the terminal block in close up.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to