General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jun-12 17:35:02
Print Post

Cable from cabinet

[link to this post]

Is there anyway I could find out the route of the cable from the BT cabinet to my property?
Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 13-Jun-12 17:48:09
Print Post

Re: Cable from cabinet

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No there is not, well unless a local eng gets his cable prints up on his laptop and shows you.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jun-12 18:12:25
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

The reason I ask is because a few years ago I had a fault on my line. The engineer came and showed me the route of my cable which went up and down my road and he said he couldn't understand why it was like this. Anyway to cut a long story short he came back the next day and told me he'd managed to reduce my cable length by about 1500 metres which increased my broadband speed from 2 Mb to 9 Mb. I'm sure he said that he had connected me to a different cabinet which is only 200m away instead of the one I'm showing has connected to on the BT site. Would it have been possible for him to change my connection to a different cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jun-12 19:10:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Is there anyway I could find out the route of the cable from the BT cabinet to my property?
It probably follows the major streets then the minor ones. Look for covers in the pavement - they usually have a number on them.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jun-12 19:24:44
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The BT covers round here are every 30m or so and are on every road and street and there are no numbers on them.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 13-Jun-12 19:56:28
Print Post

Start digging ... a long trench foot by foot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jun-12 22:26:16
Print Post

Look for covers in the pavement - they usually have a number on them.

Err, no, they might say the type of box, but that's about it.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jun-12 08:48:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Look for covers in the pavement - they usually have a number on them.

Err, no, they might say the type of box, but that's about it.
Must be different areas then. All the ones I've seen around Brackley have numbers on them. As you walk along the street the number increments or decrements. I haven't done an exhaustive study but they appear to decrease as you get closer to a cabinet or the exchange.

Edit:Hmmm - I've just been and checked a couple of the ones in our office park (Bicester) and they are different. They have two numbers but they are stamped on them and always 93 and 4. The ones in Brackley have two plastic slots that numbered tiles are clipped into. I know that they aren't just the PCP because I've walked my cable run in the past and I think there's four manhole covers that count down from 92 to 88 just outside my PCP.

Edit 2: Not enough detail here to read the number but you can see the plastic tile 'container' as the dark area in the middle of the cover:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 14-Jun-12 09:02:45)

Standard User partial
(learned) Sun 17-Jun-12 22:38:51
Print Post

Box type, manufacturer, extra strength for driveway and year of manufacture is all you can decipher.
  Print Thread

Jump to