General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jun-12 23:32:48
Print Post

A question for Openreach engineers

[link to this post]

We are about to have "K-Render" applied to the house. This entails an insulation board of around 70mm applied to the entire exterior surface which of course requires that all external fittings such as soil/downpipes, meters and importantly in this case, the BT dropwire, be removed and re-fixed.
Now the company chosen insists that it has special dispensation from Openreach that allows their "electricians" to detatch the dropwire, somehow hold it temporarily away from the wall and then re-fix it to the new surface.
What I'd like to know is what documents to ask the company for to prove that they have such permissions. I ask because looking at similar works in the area by other companies have buried the dropwire behind the insulation board and I don't want to be levied with charges in future should anything go wrong.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-12 07:08:20
Print Post

Re: A question for Openreach engineers

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

If they are just detaching the cable from the wall then that should not be a problem, when I had a new front door fitted, the downwire had to be removed from the frame and attached onto the wall, but since it did not need to be disconnected the people who put the new door in moved it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:25:43
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

This requires a lot more work than that for having a door fitted.
The whole cable needs to be completely detached from the property, temporarily fixed to the scaffold and then refixed to the new render face. As the cable length is pretty tight at the moment, it's very likely that when re-fixed, this will require dis/reconnection and maybe even a new length of cable and jointing box.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 14-Jun-12 22:31:11
Print Post

There is only one company allowed to alter any overhead telecom wires and that is bt. Does this firm know the correct heights or what load adjustments can be made on your pole? I highlydoubt it. People have been killed due to dropwires falling or being erected too low (including bt engineers). As these adjustments are being made by your contractors any bills or legal comebacks will lay at your door. Ring bt and arrange for a shift. The engineer may move the wire onto the fascia. Also consider using another contractor they sound like cowboys. BT ENGINEER.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jun-12 07:14:17
Print Post

For that then only BT open reach, as been said above,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User professor973
(newbie) Fri 15-Jun-12 11:41:18
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

As it happens, we are having our old timber back door replaced next week with a new double glazed plastic jobby. Our old drop-wire has been fixed through the drilled door frame. I had already thought about damage, but as it is a council property and the council have ordered the job, I am just going to keep quiet and hope I end with a new drop :-}
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jun-12 20:12:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
....... Does this firm know the correct heights or what load adjustments can be made on your pole......

They are a large and well respected outfit but I too doubt that they are qualified to interfere with Openreach equipment. However, if they are, what I wanted to know was exactly what to ask for as proof of this.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Jun-12 20:48:18
Print Post

Their BT QCP accreditation forms regarding cal/omi overhead works, their certification showing a qcp check in the last 12 months and a copy of their written risk assessment and method statement for such work and then their license to work on BT plant. Even contractors or eventually other firms using BT infrastructure need to be BT trained and have each of these. Your pole could for example be decayed - and your wire supporting it through tension - release that tension and not only do you risk the pole being affected (very worse case it subsequently collapsing) - or more likely the silly sod undoing the wire being pulled back off his ladder / scaffold and the wire then dropping across the road. We do not tension or release tension from wires at the house end - it is done from the pole, I guarantee these idiots are thinking of doing it from the house and then just slapping the wire back up. This sort of thing does happen, but dont be surprised if later on (if no accidents are caused) an engineer needs to replace / alter the line, which has in my personal experience led to a cherry picker and additional safety man plus first engineer having to work on the remedy - costing the end user over a grand (which WILL be pursued). However I believe the shift is somewhere in the region of £140.
This firm are trying to save themselves a few notes making illegal adjustments to an infrastructure operators plant - and are willing to put the safety of their staff and the public at risk in order to do this. I wouldn't let them paint my shed with that mindset.
This is a very different situation to a PVC company undoing the cleats so they can bury the cable behind their new door / window (which still technically naughty) - making adjustments to the clamp, bracket or tensioned dropwire in flight is a whole other ball game. You could have a biker get pulled off his bike if the wire drops or panic a driver as the wire hits their car and they swerve into kids etc.... Please dont let them do it.
BT Engineer
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Jun-12 21:44:31
Print Post

[censored] there are some jobsworths on here.

There should be no problem in unclipping the cable from the existing external wall and then reclipping it back to the newly rendered surface.

As long as it's done carefully (i.e. don't hack the clips off and tug the cable) then there won't be damage to the wiring. A building contractor saying that they will do it doesn't make them a cowboy - it's the way they do it which might.

If you're really concerned, ask them to sign a liability for any possible damage their actions might cause to existing fixtures and fittings (not just cables but also downpipes, etc.) and ensure that if there are problems that they are made aware immediately.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Fri 15-Jun-12 22:32:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
[censored] there are some jobsworths on here.

There should be no problem in unclipping the cable from the existing external wall and then reclipping it back to the newly rendered surface.

As long as it's done carefully (i.e. don't hack the clips off and tug the cable) then there won't be damage to the wiring. A building contractor saying that they will do it doesn't make them a cowboy - it's the way they do it which might.

If you're really concerned, ask them to sign a liability for any possible damage their actions might cause to existing fixtures and fittings (not just cables but also downpipes, etc.) and ensure that if there are problems that they are made aware immediately.

Wow, easy to say that sitting behind an 'Anonymous' name. Its more then a few clips mate, they want to take the entire dropwire fixing off, what do you think will happen if they don't get the height right and a bin truck snags it? cable breaks and whips across the street - someone gets hit by said cable - are you going to take the responsibility Mr.Anonymous user?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Fri 15-Jun-12 22:35:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to