General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Tue 19-Jun-12 19:33:18
Print Post

No NTE5 Master socket

[link to this post]

My father's business doesn't have a modern NTE5 master socket.

How do we get a new NTE5 fitted and how much is it likely to cost?

I'm asking this in advanced of ordering DSL on the line. As and when we order DSL I will prefer to fit a built in faceplate rather than have a separate filter hanging off the socket (one less thing to be yanked off by accident).

If it makes any difference, the current phone provider is XLN Telecom but it's likely that we move provider for Phone and Broadband services at the same time. The number successfully gives us a speed rating with BT Wholesale checker so doesn’t appear to be LLU’d.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 19:56:46
Print Post

Re: No NTE5 Master socket

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Ask your line provider to "regularise the installation". BT would do it for free; dunno about your provider.

A BT eng fitted a filtered faceplate here unasked and it made all sushy noises; added dangler to filter it and eventually reverted to ordinary NTE5.
In reply to a post by Yaz:
The number successfully gives us a speed rating with BT Wholesale checker so doesn’t appear to be LLU’d.
Line won't be LLU'd if it doesn't have BB on it. No provider does phone only LLU (altho' theoretically possible).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 22:07:28
Print Post

Not all engineers carry filtered faceplates.

And no, you cannot request it to be fitted. You'll get a standard NTE5 .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 20-Jun-12 17:28:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

the way i read it the OP is looking to get a NTE5 fitted so he can then fit his own filtered faceplate ?

but you right as lots of the guys do not have filtered face plates on there vans as they have no real need for them.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

Edited by btbert (Wed 20-Jun-12 22:18:14)

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-12 12:22:12
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by btbert:
the way i read it the OP is looking to get a NTE5 fitted so he can then fit his own filtered faceplate ?

but you right as lots of the guys do not have filtered face plates on there vans as they have no real need for them.

You have read it correctly btbert.

We don't have the NTE5 master fitted.

I would buy/fit a filtered faceplate myself but obviously can't without a modern NTE5 master.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-12 12:26:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Ask your line provider to "regularise the installation". BT would do it for free; dunno about your provider.

A BT eng fitted a filtered faceplate here unasked and it made all sushy noises; added dangler to filter it and eventually reverted to ordinary NTE5.
The number successfully gives us a speed rating with BT Wholesale checker so doesn’t appear to be LLU’d.
Line won't be LLU'd if it doesn't have BB on it. No provider does phone only LLU (altho' theoretically possible).

I haven't been able to call XLN Telecom yet to ask about getting an NTE5 fitted.

When I talked about LLU'd I meant that the line is with BT still and not through XLN or any other company (i.e. TalkTalk, Sky etc.).

vFast Ltd
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Jun-12 13:34:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

I haven't been able to call XLN Telecom yet to ask about getting an NTE5 fitted.

When I talked about LLU'd I meant that the line is with BT still and not through XLN or any other company (i.e. TalkTalk, Sky etc.).
Only if the line is true LLU will the BT Wholesale checker fail to recognise it. In other words, WLR is recognised, LLU line rental isn't.

Plusnet, O2, Be, Post Office, Orange are just a few that only provide WLR. Vivaciti, xilo/uno, ADSL24 and possibly AAISP can supply either WLR or LLU depending on your chosen package.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jun-12 16:52:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The point was nobody does LLU line rental w/out LLU BB.

AS OP has no BB it's impossible, at this time, for him to have LLU line rental .

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 23-Jun-12 22:22:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

X... going back to your first post, if I ask XLN to "regularise the installation" I'm guessing I'm not going to get a helpful response.

I'm guessing that if the process of fitting an NTE5 is chargeable work then XLN will ask stupid money for it (regardless of Openreach costs to them).

vFast Ltd
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Jun-12 22:51:41
Print Post

As I understand it, the Openreach charge to ISPs for regularising a master socket is £25 plus Vat. That's if it is done when an old master socket is found on a fault visit.

If an engineer is booked purely to do it, then a callout charge (of about £125) applies as well.

See this Openreach page.

If an old master socket is discovered during an FTTC installation, there is no charge for fitting one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 23-Jun-12 22:52:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to