General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ASBOdog
(learned) Mon 25-Jun-12 12:41:21
Print Post

broadband survey the last question

[link to this post]

The q.
What would you like to see change in the world of broadband.

I would like isps to be forced to publish latency stats in the ads. After all whats headline speed when the pigeon stops off for lunch at every park an then gets shot over balamory est . Yes am vm cable cust. Bet plusnet an a few others would smile if that became law

virgin media 60mb oldh9 http://tinyurl.com/bwkesod
Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Mon 25-Jun-12 14:21:05
Print Post

Re: broadband survey the last question

[re: ASBOdog] [link to this post]

Mine was asking that BT should enable all cabinets in an area they chose to enable for FTTC, rather than do only half of them.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jun-12 16:06:53
Print Post

[re: Aaron_01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aaron_01:
Mine was asking that BT should enable all cabinets in an area they chose to enable for FTTC, rather than do only half of them.

If they did that we'd see many exchanges being ignored altogether to compensate.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Wed 27-Jun-12 16:45:31
Print Post

[re: ASBOdog] [link to this post]

What would I change? - Simples...

NATIONALISE Openreach and use the profits to roll out FTTC to every exchange and cabinet in the country instead of the current national farce...

SACK EVERYONE in local councils running local "Do we need faster broadband" surveys and add their wages to the above... (Or retrain/employ then installing cabs)

CANCEL the HS2 (trainline) 21CN Folly and use 10% of the funds to improve what's there already and add the rest to the above for the WHOLE country.

Why WOULDN'T we do this? - Is it just too sensible?
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 27-Jun-12 16:50:57
Print Post

[re: Aaron_01] [link to this post]

Aaron_01

I think you mean all in an exchange.

BT would say at present that they do all in the area that they choose (subject to planning objections). But the area is defined by cabinets.

It would be great to know officially which cabs were planned to be done ( subject to planning objections) so people could make rational choices.

They are regularly going back and doing more in each exchange already, Considering that some exchanges have 100+ cabs, under your rerquest would they be able to do any if they had one objection?.

Many fewer areas would be covered if this was so, as the sparse areas would make the dense areas unprofitable.

At present some surprisingly small exchanges have their dense population areas covered, these would all be missed if they had to do all the rural parts as well.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jun-12 17:36:48
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

If going to nationalise, they why bother with the same interim solution that Openreach already plan. Nationalisation is not an overnight process either, resulting a couple of years uncertainty, and then just a new monopoly on the local loop further down the line.

The faster broadband surveys are just of the work needed to help show market failure and satisfy EU State Aid rules, i.e. avoid people spending money on projects that no-one wants.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to