General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thinkpaul10
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 09:12:31
Print Post

Can I connect two modems to one BT line

[link to this post]

Hello, hope someone can help?

At home we have a BT broadband connection. My girl friends work pays for it as she needs to get on to the office servers, this is secure thought a modem box and also a firewall box. This is restricted our personal internet access to only certain sites on her work laptop. I myself work for myself and need to access the internet via my laptop (mac), I'm a web designer so rely on the internet.

My question is: If I was to buy an addition wireless modem could I unplug the work configured set-up at the wall, plug in the new one and set it up? I don't need to run the two modems at the same time, so could just swap the plugs as and when required.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Jul-12 09:51:35
Print Post

Re: Can I connect two modems to one BT line

[re: thinkpaul10] [link to this post]

Generally the account is assigned to the line, so you would need to use the work ADSL login/pwd for the modem to authenticate.

In theory if work is using for example Zen, and you had your own personal zen account line details from elsewhere it would work.

The simplest answer, is that you need a second line installed so you can have personal internet access too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:15:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkpaul10:
Hello, hope someone can help?

At home we have a BT broadband connection. My girl friends work pays for it as she needs to get on to the office servers, this is secure thought a modem box and also a firewall box. This is restricted our personal internet access to only certain sites on her work laptop. I myself work for myself and need to access the internet via my laptop (mac), I'm a web designer so rely on the internet.

My question is: If I was to buy an addition wireless modem could I unplug the work configured set-up at the wall, plug in the new one and set it up? I don't need to run the two modems at the same time, so could just swap the plugs as and when required.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Hi Paul, yes you can swap around your routers provided you know the username and password for your broadband service with BT. I often swap around my routers for a change, at present using my new Orange Bright Box router, tomorrow I might use my 2Wire BT2700HGV router. wink

ADSL Basic Settings
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulation: PPPoA

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:16:38
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Swapping routers if the service is a direct link to the company intranet will achieve nothing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:26:02
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thank you for this, I'll try this, just a quicky, I'm a mac person so a bit woolie on PC's. Is there a way to find out your BT login details via the PC or do I need to speak to work for the info?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:38:14
Print Post

What is the EXACT configuration? What devices and which sockets are connected where?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:53:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the reply, at work at the mo, bit of a chicken and egg situation as I need to sort this out but cannot do it from home as not allowed on forums as they are blocked.

We have a Belkin modem and a similar looking box that says Firewall on it they are linked in a chain, then via cable to the laptop. My thoughts are that if i unplug the cable from the wall socket and disconnect the current set-up, can I then purchase a new modem and set this one up?

Cheers

Paul
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:59:48
Print Post

Is the Belkin purely a modem? Or is it a hub which combines modem and router?

DOes the Belkin have more than one RJ45 LAN connector? If so, try plugging in to one of those.

If there is only one LAN output, then try disconnecting the "Firewall" box and plugging your alternate device in.

If that fails - borrow a Hub of some sort and try it before buying your own.

M H C

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jul-12 11:04:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Swapping routers if the service is a direct link to the company intranet will achieve nothing
A direct link to the company intranet from a domestic premises, that would be expensive. Their router is maybe configured for a tunnelled connection this would only be configured with the router provided.

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 02-Jul-12 11:09:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have come across a couple of situations like this. The second box is basically creates and manages the secure link and that is all.

It was just a case of unplugging the modem and installing a new one. In one case, the employer actually purchased the new hub too! as it was cheaper than installing a second line.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to