General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Wed 04-Jul-12 22:50:17
Print Post

Friends Broadband issues

[link to this post]

Hi All,

A friend of mine has been having issues with broadband not syncing with the exchange.

I went over to have a look and basically the master socket is a tiny white box, and normal household telephone cable comes out of this box, and into what looks like a NTE5 type master box - basically the two blue wires are wired in to point A and Point B. (Probably originally wired by B.T. many years ago!)

I am guessing there will need to be some re-cabling work.

Sometimes it syncs at 4mb put will eventually drop down to 800k and sometimes keeps recycling the connection, there is also crackling on the line.

The problem she is having is making the B.T. foreign call centre understand the NTE5 type box is NOT the real master socket! So the problem is still on going. Does anyone know a better way to speaking/contacting B.T. so this issue can be resolved.

Thanks

Zark
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jul-12 23:34:55
Print Post

Re: Friends Broadband issues

[re: zarkrax] [link to this post]

It sounds as though a previous occupant has done this for some reason that may be clear there but not here at this stage smile. Possibly to add further extensions more easily.

It would be useful if you could see if further extensions are run off the back of the NTE5 faceplate, as in this pic.

There is a high probability that there are now two master sockets on the line. That is not recommended, but seems to be ignored on that page.

I suggest you check what the connections look like. If they are badly fitted then that could be the cause. Has she been there with it OK for a while, or is this how it has always been - unreliable?

If it used to be OK it is more likely an external fault has developed. So let us know the answers to the questions, as there are two completely different tracks to consider.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-12 00:13:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by zarkrax:
Does anyone know a better way to speaking/contacting B.T. so this issue can be resolved.
https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5627,5629

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 00:46:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No this is a really old little white box with no sockets on it at all, it only has one central screw.
I have been looking online and I think it looks like a BT80A box.

I have seen other properties like this, I always thought this was done by B.T. to bring older houses up to the modern day fittings.

There are no extensions in the NTE5 I have checked, the only wires are the two blue ones that have been wired on point A and point B.

Even though they have had BB for a while they never used it until now, and these issues have come to light. Trouble is I have no idea how long this has been going on for, this could have been happening since day one!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-12 01:04:30
Print Post

No this is a really old little white box with no sockets on it at all, it only has one central screw. I have been looking online and I think it looks like a BT80A box.
Ah, it's not a socket at all, but just a Block Terminal, just used to join 2 cables together. They are were fitted and owned by BT in older premises.

They are not unusual and usually nothing to worry about. Your NTE5 box is your one-and-only master socket.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 05-Jul-12 01:06:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 05-Jul-12 01:10:23
Print Post

That's a simple junction box. It isn't a master socket, and can effectively be ignored when calling India. It's often on a window-ledge immediately after the incoming cable enters the building.

Still worth making sure all connections are firm.

Then see how things are using the test socket, the one on the NTE5 backplate when you remove the faceplate. An essential test is a corded phone into the test socket with nothing else connected, and dial 17070 option 2. (The Quiet Line Test).

If that is noisy just report a voice fault to the line rental company. Do not mention the broadband. If it's quiet, then we think what to do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 01:17:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes but the wires that come into the NT5E are from a normal telephone cable, rather than the outside copper wires. So it is wired this way:

Outside Copper Wire -> Block Terminal -> Telephone cable -> NT5E

Where normally you would expect to see

Outside Copper Wire -> NT5E

I suspect the issue with BB is with the wiring to the NT5E box, but it is only a guess.
Trouble is trying to explain that to a call centre, so it can be escalated.
Standard User zarkrax
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 01:21:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes thats it!

Tried that in the test socket earlier today, and there was crackle!

Ok I will get her to report a fault.

Thanks all for your help.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jul-12 02:52:02
Print Post

Yes but the wires that come into the NT5E are from a normal telephone cable, rather than the outside copper wires.
Exactly!
BT connectors (Block Terminal)

Used by BT to connect standard telephony wiring.
These are the property of BT and should not be tampered with.

Most commonly seen to connect the drop wire to internal cable and are often found in the loft or other point of entry to a building.

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 07:39:32
Print Post

Could be an RF2 filter - known to cause issues with ADSL.

If you remove the one screw from the box are there any components inside it, or just the connector blocks for the two cables?

wink Comms is hard wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to