General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User abeggs
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 10:55:49
Print Post

Broadband choices

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am moving to a new house, and I have the luxury of having the choice of multiple different broadband providers. I'm currently on Be, but for my new job I am going to need to download lots of data (genetic sequencing information) so need no download limits and a fast connection.

I have the choices of BT Infinity 2 or Virgin Media 100mbps. Any suggestions?

I've been hearing that Virgins 100mbps service is anything but - experiences also ratefully received.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Jul-12 11:00:44
Print Post

Re: Broadband choices

[re: abeggs] [link to this post]

Virgin can vary depending on the area.

I work from home and to avoid the cost of going to the office when things arent good use two connections. So in your situation would get Infinity 2 and if I got close to 80 Meg would get a slower Virgin service as a back up, or if Infinity was down near the 30 Meg mark, but the faster Virgin as the primary.

If you have kids at home, the two connections is useful as it means you can let them use the one you dont use.

THOUGHT: Do you have to upload lots of data back? If yes the Infinity 2 has a much better upstream speed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User abeggs
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 11:18:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well the infinity 2 checker reckons I'll get 59/18, so I suppose that is better than 100/5. It'll be in Leamington Spa, so the West Midlands. I have heard about capacity problems there - is there any way I can find out?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Jul-12 15:43:27
Print Post

On Virgin Media its trawl the web and speak to others who are using it in that area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 07-Jul-12 22:01:02
Print Post

If you get a BT Business service - which you should, the there is a minimum speed guarantee that was 16Mbps on a 40/10 service; it may be the same or it may have increased.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to