General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SadGamerGeek
(newbie) Mon 09-Jul-12 17:03:05
Print Post

Tricky problem - need temp. broadband but DACS on line...

[link to this post]

This question covers a few areas, so I thought I'd better just put it in the general forum....

I have two lines into my home - a bog standard BT PSTN line with no broadband service, plus a separate line in the name of my employer providing BT Business Broadband. I'm a reasonable distance from my (non-LLU) exchange, so that broadband line never goes above 4Mb/s.

My employer has decided that all its staff should jolly well pay for their own broadband now, so will be terminating all business broadband lines on 24th August.

As it happens a "wireless broadband" supplier (County Broadband) is launching a service to my area in "around 3 months". I'm very keen to go with them as soon as they're available as they promise much faster speeds.

So, I decided to find a cheap broadband service that I can terminate at a month's notice to "fill the gap" between my current business broadband being terminated, and the new option being available to me.

BT don't seem to provide short contracts, so I was intending to go with a 30 day Tesco contract. Unfortunately the Tesco online checker tells me I have "incompatible equipment" on my personal line, and further investigation reveals this is a DACS. Tesco tell me this has to be removed by BT, and BT (after much phoning) say this can only be removed if it is instigated by the new ISP - seems like an impasse.

My only other option is to somehow transfer my home number to my line currently used for business broadband and get a new Tesco non-business broadband line started on that. To get all that done with minimal loss of broadband seems highly unlikely though....

I'm really not sure what to do for the best now...

Any ideas anyone?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 09-Jul-12 17:13:43
Print Post

Re: Tricky problem - need temp. broadband but DACS on line..

[re: SadGamerGeek] [link to this post]

BT can transfer ownership of the broadband contract from the employer to you - it has been done before and there was no minimum contract length, they just allowed the existing to continue on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jul-12 17:15:24
Print Post

Isn't Tesco an LLU service through Cable & Wireless? Or do they have an "out of area" product at a much higher price like other LLU suppliers?

Anyway, I suggest you PM vivaciti, ADSL24 and uno on these forums.

Monthly broadband contracts are available from them, and they have the expertise to sort it out if anyone can. Unlike a big setup like Tesco who are basically just selling a bought-in service.

Let us know if they come up with anything smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jul-12 21:36:20
Print Post

Got an old dialup modem, if it connects at over 28 Kbps on the line that has the DACS then you do not actually have one on the line.
What exactly does the BT Wholesale checker say for the line?
DACs are only removed once an order for ADSL has been placed, so would delay service by a week or two.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 00:29:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT can transfer ownership of the broadband contract from the employer to you - it has been done before and there was no minimum contract length, they just allowed the existing to continue on.
Cheers. I might keep this as a backup option. My employer is currently paying around £47 a month - I'd prefer not to be lumbered with this (and I assume it would need a new contract to change it) unless it was the only option.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Isn't Tesco an LLU service through Cable & Wireless? Or do they have an "out of area" product at a much higher price like other LLU suppliers?

Anyway, I suggest you PM vivaciti, ADSL24 and uno on these forums.

Monthly broadband contracts are available from them, and they have the expertise to sort it out if anyone can. Unlike a big setup like Tesco who are basically just selling a bought-in service.

Let us know if they come up with anything smile.
Yes, I believe Tesco are just reselling C&W services as you say. I can't have the combined phone & broadband as it is out of area, but they do have broadband-only as an option of £14 a month, so that doesn't seem too bad. Pretty academic though unfortunately, as they're not willing to budge on the DACS front.

Thanks for the suggestions - I had wondered about ADSL24, and I see they have a monthly contract. Not only that, but the DACS doesn't seem to prevent me taking up their service - it just says it will delay things. I think I'm to go with them. If I hit problems I'll send a pm as you suggest.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Got an old dialup modem, if it connects at over 28 Kbps on the line that has the DACS then you do not actually have one on the line.
What exactly does the BT Wholesale checker say for the line?
DACs are only removed once an order for ADSL has been placed, so would delay service by a week or two.
Not sure where I'd lay my hands on one a modem!

The BT Wholesale Line checker (wasn't aware of this before - thanks for telling me about it) shows this:

Note: You will be able to receive a Broadband service but could experience a slightly longer product delivery time, typically within 10 days as your telephone line running from your premises will need to be changed to enable this (a process referred to as 'de-DACS'). In some rare instances BT may need to undertake significant engineering work to provide service that could further extend the product delivery time (up to around 40 days is possible, but rare). An estimated service delivery time will be provided to your Broadband Provider following a site survey.

Thanks for all the swift & helpful responses guys! I'm going to put an order in with ADSL24. I'll send an update if I hit any more problems....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 00:40:10
Print Post

Let us know how things go smile.

Just as a side issue, is your having broadband and/or a landline phone required by your employer? In other words, do you need them in order to do your job? It just seems odd that so far they have been paying out that amount per month if not, and very questionable if so for them to pass the burden to you and your colleagues now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 09:04:33
Print Post

Have you not considered an option of asking your employer if they can get a MAC from the current BT service and then use that to migrate the line away or are they looking to cease the phone line as well?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 09:50:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Let us know how things go smile.

Just as a side issue, is your having broadband and/or a landline phone required by your employer? In other words, do you need them in order to do your job? It just seems odd that so far they have been paying out that amount per month if not, and very questionable if so for them to pass the burden to you and your colleagues now.
It's not a key requirement of my work, as I'm office based and not on any formal callout arrangement. There is an occasional need for weekend work though, plus very occasional callout on a "best endeavors" basis, so if I didn't have broadband I guess I'd need to drive/taxi to the office out of hours occasionally. They have given us a tiny pay rise to compensate for it, though I'm not sure it would cover even the very cheapest broadband! Yeah, we're all a bit miffed about it, but it's hard to complain, as it's a pretty well paid, convenient job....

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Have you not considered an option of asking your employer if they can get a MAC from the current BT service and then use that to migrate the line away or are they looking to cease the phone line as well?
Yeah, they're ceasing the whole line unfortunately.

I put the order in last night, so that's a good start! I have had an email saying my order is in a "delayed status", awaiting more info, but I was expecting something like this due to the DACS.

I was surprised to be charged the first month's rental (as well as the set-up fee) immediately - is that normal? I thought maybe the first monthly fee might not have been charged until the service had been activated (I requested a date of 15th August), but then I've been lucky enough to never have to worry about this sort of thing before!

Edited by SadGamerGeek (Tue 10-Jul-12 09:51:51)

Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Tue 10-Jul-12 10:27:21
Print Post

If there is a geniune business need for Broadband and your employer is no longer prepared tp pay for it you may be able to claim it as expenses against tax. Not sure on the current tax legislation as it keeps changing nor on what basis you are employed but it may be worth looking at to keep the cost down.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jul-12 10:29:59
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

The tax claim if I recall relied on the majority use being business, so if just occassional then probably not.

Firm is gambling on taxi receipts etc being less

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to