General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jul-12 18:07:43
Print Post

Student House broadband dilemma

[link to this post]

Hi all,

We have just moved into a new student house, and we have a bit of a problem with the broadband. The previous tenants have cancelled (they were with O2), but apparently the line rental is still active. We have no way of contacting them.

I've spoken to 2 people at O2, they suggested there are 2 options:

1) Wait (for 2 weeks+ he said) until O2 are able to do the line rental and broadband in 1
2) Get BT to do the line rental, which takes 11 working days according to their site, then order the broadband once the line is in my name.

Is there any better way of doing this? They suggested that the 2nd option would be quicker, but 2 weeks for the line and then up to another 2 weeks for the broadband to be connected (I assume I can't order the broadband until BT have sorted out the line) is a very long time for us to be without an internet connection.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Phil.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 18:36:53
Print Post

Re: Student House broadband dilemma

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

A simultaneous provide of both should be quicker, I wasn't clear who the line rental is with. Can you make calls to chargeable numbers ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jul-12 18:43:29
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Can't make any calls to charged numbers no, I get "sorry you cannot make this call...". The phone rings if I call it though.

To be honest I'm not sure who the line rental is with, I only know that the broadband was with O2 previously.

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jul-12 19:16:33
Print Post

So, because the previous tenants had O2 broadband their site still has this house registered as having broadband with them so I can't get it there (same for be). I have no idea who the line rental is with, what name it's under etc.

Does any of this matter if I were to order a new package (broadband & line rental) with Sky for example? There is a checkbox to say that I am the billpayer for this property, which is true now, but it won't match the current line rental registration for obvious reasons. Sky say 2-3 weeks, which is still a long time but I suppose it's not really going to be better anywhere else.

Thanks,

Phil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jul-12 19:20:02
Print Post

Going for sky will be a full LLU and they can push this through, but so can any other provider if you order line rental from them. The provider you are ordering from is responsible for figuring out who the old line rental provider is.

2 to 3 weeks is pretty standard for Sky.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 10-Jul-12 20:05:10
Print Post

I know lots of people in this situation

All of them went for SKY LLU (assuming it's available).

What Sky can do is provide the line and the broadband simultaneously so that they both connect at the same time.

& Sky are very cheap on LLU.
Not sure about other providers. Just talking about first hand experience with family.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 10-Jul-12 20:05:57)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 20:09:49
Print Post

Well it wont make any difference, but you should not order broadband until the phone side has been sorted or you could find it getting cut off and stuffing the broadband.
There is a way around it and would take about 10 days and that is to just go to another provider and say you want to move the phone line to them, or for them to take it over, this has a lead time of 10 days and then the phone will be in your name and then you can order broadband.
We have come across this problem so many times before and this solution normally works well.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to