General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jammy1000
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 23:09:46
Print Post

Speed Drop

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have a Broadband Extra package with the post office, and up until today have been quite happy with my service. I have been getting good download speeds, (around 500kb/s I think), well not great but does me!

Today I had a second phone socket put into the flat, directly the other side of the wall from the master socket. Now suddenly , I have dropped to a speed of 45 kb/s and it has taken me over an hour to download a podcast from iTunes! This used to take seconds.

Does any one have any ideas of why this may have happened, or any hints and tips to try and resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

James
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 00:18:12
Print Post

Re: Speed Drop

[re: jammy1000] [link to this post]

Is that an extension for the original line, or a second line/number? Who fitted it? A BT engineer or a house electrician or who? This matters, as the wrong cable may have been used, and the wrong connections made.

If it is an extension, carefully open the master socket by unscrewing the bottom half. Be careful as there should be three wires attached to the back, see this pic.

Gently ease out the wire to T3. Don't cut it, just coil it a little to make sure it doesn't touch any contacts when you put it all back. That is the ring wire and is rarely needed these days. It is often a source of major ADSL interference.

Is there anything plugged into the other socket? If so, what, and is it going through one of the dangly filters?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-Jul-12 00:19:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jul-12 18:39:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Also a set of connection stats from the router, and what www.speedtester.bt.com says about the line.

If poster was on 20CN (i.e upstream of 448Kbps) then the IP profile may have dipped due to disturbance on original line, and might recover in future.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Jul-12 22:26:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good points.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to