General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User humm
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:07:49
Print Post

Openreach seem to have broken my phone line

[link to this post]

Hi,

BT Openreach were doing work a couple of doors up from me. I lost my dial tone and my ADSL2+ sync rate halved (which I believe means that one leg of the line has been disconnected).

I approached the Opeanreach employee at the other house. He denied having anything to do with it, giving me some drivel about that house not having anyting to do with mine, but then admitted he had been in the telephone cabinet (!!) Anyway he refused to fix the problem or even admit that he might have caused it.

Now I took down his employee ID and name and made a complaint to Opeanreach, and also reported a line fault online to BT retail. After reporting the line fault online it said that they needed more time to check the line (or something like that).

Any other advice (either about getting the line fixed quickly or making a complaint)?

Cheers

[edit]
The fault reporter came back with this:
https://www.bt.com/static/wa/consumerfaulttracking/e...

Edited by humm (Sun 15-Jul-12 13:26:09)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:35:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach seem to have broken my phone line

[re: humm] [link to this post]

Making a complaint, best way is to by pass the monkey's that represent BT customer support (Indian call center) that is not fit for purpose , even some of the English side is no better cut them out by complaining to the CEO of BT , you will normally receive a swift reply (they even work on a Sunday) they will liaise with open reach. to find out what has gone on,
most likely they will arrange an engineers visit , and if this lack of dial tone issue is still present then there should be a 0% chance of any charges being raised on you account, Note i said should be a 0% , but this is BT we are talking about here, with all their cheap/free broadband offers they have to re-coop some of that money somehow

BTW the fault report link indicates that the fault is somewhere on the D'SIDE pair that's the leg from the PCP to your master socket basically

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 15-Jul-12 13:38:11)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 13:49:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by humm:
I approached the Opeanreach employee at the other house. He denied having anything to do with it, giving me some drivel about that house not having anyting to do with mine, but then admitted he had been in the telephone cabinet (!!) Anyway he refused to fix the problem or even admit that he might have caused it.

Now I took down his employee ID and name and made a complaint to Opeanreach, and also reported a line fault online to BT retail. After reporting the line fault online it said that they needed more time to check the line (or something like that).

Even if you are correct about the cause of the problem, all you have is circumstantial evidence. You have no proof...

The unfortunate Openreach engineer has mates (you clearly didn't consider that fact).

Do NOT expect a quick resolution to the problem if his mates hear about your complaint.

Any other advice (either about getting the line fixed quickly or making a complaint)?

Retract or modify your complaint.
You appear to have made it a personal attack on an Openreach employee with nothing more than circumstantial evidence.

Report the problem concisely, which (looking at your edit) you appear to have done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:05:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Do NOT expect a quick resolution to the problem if his mates hear about your complaint.
They'll do as they're told or it'll be grounds for further/escalated complaint. This is not a Union matter!

OP has grounds for complaint and reasonable hypothesis of probable cause. When a working thing stops working when something has changed, then it is likely the change is the cause.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:10:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Even if you are correct about the cause of the problem, all you have is circumstantial evidence. You have no proof...

The unfortunate Openreach engineer has mates (you clearly didn't consider that fact).

Retract or modify your complaint.
You appear to have made it a personal attack on an Openreach employee with nothing more than circumstantial evidence.

Report the problem concisely, which (looking at your edit) you appear to have done.
No doubt he will have mates , but if requested by the high level complaints to their bosses to get this resolved i very much doubt that they will want it drawing out longer than needed, this sort of problem happens a lot about time openreach did something to prevent

Standard User humm
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:12:08
Print Post

Hi,

Complaint to Openreach and fault report to BT retail where done separately.

Yes it is circumstantial, but fairly strong circumstantial evidence... Given that he admitting to doing something inside the cabinet, I am quite sure he was talking nonsense (he said something like this line is here, it's not connected to your line, and pointed..). I don't mean to contradict myself, but I actually didn't flat out ask him to fix the problem.

I'm not looking for the complaint to Openreach to fix the problem, but just really investigate what happened and take actions to ensure it doesn't happen again. As you say the evidence is circumstantial, but it's still Openreach's responsibility to investigate.

Anyway, your comments about mates, did you mean that it could have been a colleague that caused the problem, or simply that the complaint will be ignored if his mates hear about it..

Cheers
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:15:31
Print Post

Re: Openreach seem to have broken my phone line *DELETED*

Post deleted by aquilla
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 15:10:18
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

cut them out by complaining to the CEO of BT

OK, let's have a little focus here. The OP's line has developed a fault, (the nature of which we are unsure,) yes, there was an Openreach engineer working in the vacinity at the time the OP noticed the fault, the engineer said that he wasn't the cause, and as a result you are now advising that OP go straight to the CEO's office ......... ???

Do you remember the story of the little boy who cried wolf ?

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Sun 15-Jul-12 15:46:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Aye, all a bit OTT. OP you need to consider that if the engineer went chasing your fault and it turned out to be non-openreach related i.e your equipment or an exchange line card it would affect his performance and also put him at odds with regulatory compliance (basically he can't decide to go fix anyone phone line without a valid fault report otherwise ofcom and other service providers don't like it and he could face a discipliary or no insurace payout of he gets hurt working on other peoples phone lines).

Further he wasn't wrong when he said the lines are not connected, they share common cables and your termination may have become disconnected due to a faulty connector at the cabinate but when you see how old some of those connectors are you probably wouldn't be so scathing.

Lastly yes coincidence does happen, last month I had a similar issue when I was installing a line at a business premises and the dial tone & broadband suddenly went down on another line, a lot of accusations from the customer and a few tests revealed it was a fault back at the exchange no where near where I had been working, talked to some other engineers that had worked there the day before and exactly the same thing happened to them - customer failed to mention that! wasted half an hour of my time.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Sun 15-Jul-12 15:48:16)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 15:57:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
cut them out by complaining to the CEO of BT

OK, let's have a little focus here. The OP's line has developed a fault, (the nature of which we are unsure,) yes, there was an Openreach engineer working in the vacinity at the time the OP noticed the fault, the engineer said that he wasn't the cause, and as a result you are now advising that OP go straight to the CEO's office ......... ???

Do you remember the story of the little boy who cried wolf ?
The fault reporter came back with this:
https://www.bt.com/static/wa/consumerfaulttracking/e...
Was the question the op asked , i gave my answer, as the general BT Retail support (outsourced ,sometimes hard to understand overseas call center ) that they call support is not fit for purpose, so how do you get anything sorted out in bt? go to the top, is the way i have done it in the past ,worked for me, and when the op reported a voice fault why wasn't they given a date & time of an engineers visit then or as soon as possible afterwards ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to