General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dorcots
(regular) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:00:33
Print Post

Why was my international internet connection very slow?

[link to this post]

With much attention on speed to the exchange and (occasionally) on the backhaul network, there does not seem to be any discussion on data rates on international links.

For most of June, Skype calls to my son-in-law in Hong Kong became unusable. He was able to see me but video from him was unusable (4 frames per second and very very low resolution).

I am on FTTC and he is on cable (similar speed) and we both have good speed tests (to local servers). I performed a speedtest.net to a Hong Kong server and got only 1.8/0.43 Mbps while tests to servers in most other countries gave excellent results. At that time, my son-in-law did not do the corresponding test.

The problem has gone now, we both have reasonable long distance performance and Skype is fine

So if we get the problem again whose ISP do we complain to? My guess is that it would be the sender of data that chooses (and pays for) the route but I could be wrong.

And what obligation does an ISP have to provide reasonable quality links internationally?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:03:18
Print Post

Re: Why was my international internet connection very slow?

[re: dorcots] [link to this post]

It's obviously a skype problem - ask them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:22:34
Print Post

Re: Why was my international Internet connection very slow?

Cuz it's long distance!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Jul-12 22:03:09
Print Post

Depends on where the moon is, with its magnetic field dragging electrons off the line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 22:29:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by dorcots:
And what obligation does an ISP have to provide reasonable quality links internationally?

Simple answer for that one. No obligation at all.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jul-12 22:29:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by dorcots:

None whatsoever.

If you're with a bargin basement UK ISP then its likely their network peering will be running "hotter" than others.

I'm on BE and regularly talk to my sister in the US via Skype, or more recently Apple Facetime (she has iPad, I have a Mac) and they both work flawlessly.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
  Print Thread

Jump to