General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jul-12 11:23:11
Print Post

Plusnet vs BT

[link to this post]

Hi,

My friend currently has broadband with Plusnet and line rental from BT. The telephone is working perfectly, but the broadband has very slow speeds.

syncs at 19Mb, but speedtests are 2-3Mb.

Plusnet have carried out line tests, and have said there is a fault on the line. They told her to contact BT as her line rental is from them. So she did as instructed by Plusnet and a BT engineer came out and said there is no fault found.

So she went back to Plusnet and they carried out the tests again, and again the test results said the line was faulty and go back to BT.
She went back to BT, and BT said it's a broadband fault. They told her to read the BT Terms and Conditions as their responsability is for the making and receiving of telephone calls and other services they provide. Go back to Plusnet because it's a broadband fault. Plusnet are still telling her to go back to BT as it's a line fault.

She's just going around in circles.

Jason
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 11:51:51
Print Post

Re: Plusnet vs BT

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have you tried a Quiet line test, with a (preferably corded) phone directly into the Test Socket? 17070 option 2. It should be silent.

Do you think you can find and post the line stats, including the error counts and other gubbage as well as the usual speed/attenuation/noise margins.

What does a BT Speed Test say her IP Profiles are? Best to post the contents of the two text boxes of results - the graphic bit is irrelevant.

What is the "Current Line Speed" shown in her Plusnet Member Centre? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 22-Jul-12 11:54:44)

Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-12 11:55:19
Print Post

I comment only through experience. What type of Broadband service is your friend on and what does a BTSpeedtest (www.speedtester.bt.com) show? Without the results of a BT Speedtest, no ISP will take the problem seriously. The test should also be run, ideally, from the 'test socket, behind the master faceplate. This will rule out any internal wiring issues. Have you checked to see whether the exchange is reporting broadband congestion; that is, too many users and not enough capacity? I am also a little surprised that BT sent out an engineer. In my experience, this only happens when BT line tests actually detect a line fault between the exchange and the telephone. You may well find that the line suddenly corrects itself and then there may be an argument about who pays for the engineer visit. Sorry to be a bit negative but there are a number of issues here.

Edit:

Over to you Robertos. Our responses crossed.

Edited by lexden16 (Sun 22-Jul-12 11:56:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 13:04:02
Print Post

Ask your friend to go through to Plusnet's 'faults department' and explain the entire problem. Explain that Plusnet must be the point of contact for the fault, since BTO have declared it a 'broadband fault'. If still told it's a phone fault, instruct Plusnet to contact BT and basically sort it out between them, and leave your friend out of the loop. Customer 'ping-pong' is not uncommon, but is completely pointless for all parties. The quicker it gets sorted, the cheaper it is for all.

If no joy, post back...the forum folk can 'escalate' this slightly (moan and whinge a lot to the PN reps on this site smile ).

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jul-12 14:22:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

She doesn't know what the BT engineer did on the phone, but she hasn't done the quiet line test. I cant hear any noise on the phone when I talk to her. (she lives 70 miles away).

She's done a few BT speedtests, she said they were between 2-3Mb. the profile was 16 something.

I will ask her for the other details another day, because she's a bit stressed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:00:46
Print Post

Has it always been slow, or has this just happened and it used to be much better?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:02:28
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
Edit:

Over to you Robertos. Our responses crossed.
Eeee! Don't be daft. I've got iron toes so feel no pain smile.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:13:21
Print Post

Make sure you don't take the shortcut paste the magnet factory. wink

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 07:45:34
Print Post

She sent me an email this morning, she hasn't worked out how to get the stats yet.

She also did another BT speedtest this morning and looked at the webpage on plusnet you asked for.

BT Speedtest
Plusnet Webpage

She noticed the problem two months ago, because the BBC Iplayer kept stopping when watching films.

Plusnet said the problem is caused by loop loss on the line.

Jason
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jul-12 10:10:43
Print Post

Looking at that plusnet page it suggests that the plusnet profile has got stuck. The BT profile is over 16Mb but plusnet is 2Mb. Because Plusnet is low you will never get a speed above the plusnet setting.

This is ENTIRELY a plusnet issue and has nothing whatsover to do with BT. Ring Plusnet and say "BT Profile is 16Mb, plusnet profile is 2.1Mb - please reset the plusnet profile to the correct level".

There are some plusnet reps that post in the plusnet forum here. Might be worth looking through that and PM'ing one of them to ask them to give the profile a kick.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to