General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maggiej
(learned) Mon 23-Jul-12 14:02:55
Print Post

Advice Please!

[link to this post]

Sometime ago I had problems with my Broadband connection and posted here for advice. Following on from that my line did mysteriously seem to recover in early June but regretfully has been playing up for a few weeks now. My speeds have dropped from 17500 kbps to 10919 kbps at present. Having seen the synch speed dropping, I checked my router's system log and it recorded loss of adsl signal (normally during the early hrs of the morning) several times, which has led to the SNR margin rising from 3.0 to 15.0. I do realise that this is the cause for the drop in downstream speed. I had only been taking notice of the downstream speed but did notice this week that following several disconnections whilst working on my computer, that the upstream rate which previously ranged from 1248 kbps and 900 ish, actually plummeted down to 96 kbps. A quick speed test undertaken at that time revealed down 1.2 mbps and up 0.1 mbps.

My Broadband Speed Test

My ISP had previously advised that the only speed test results they take notice of are those via the BT Tester which is faulty at present and will not work. Although following yet another query from myself about this where I have provided them with a link to the above result, they have now come back and said that a SFI visit could be arranged. This I am somewhat reluctant to do as I don't wish to have a huge bill from BT for such a visit .

Sorry for waffling on but my questions are:

Will the rise in SNR drop back once the line is stable (if ever??)
If so, how long does it take?
How long do I wait before risking a router resynch ?
As an SFI visit has been suggested, do ISP suspect a fault they cannot account for?

My line has now been stable almost 48 hrs

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jul-12 14:21:12
Print Post

Re: Advice Please!

[re: maggiej] [link to this post]

We need a full set of the line stats to say much more. (reboot router before grabbing the figures). A set of figures to compare with from when the line was good are a good idea.

Speedtests are irrelevant really, unless the issue is that you are connecting at 15 Meg, but only seeing 1.2 Meg. In your case you say you are connecting at close to the speeds seen from a speedtest.

If the instability has been due to the weather for example, then the downstream SNR margin should recover (after about two weeks). Usually no upstream DLM takes place, so if the stats show this is performing badly it suggests more of a fault with the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jul-12 14:26:55
Print Post

Re: Advice Please!

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
unless the issue is that you are connecting at 15 Meg, but only seeing 1.2 Meg. In your case you say you are connecting at close to the speeds seen from a speedtest.
No, isn't that one of the issues? OP is syncing at at least 10.9 Meg but testing at 1.2 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to