General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 00:34:38
Print Post

Filtered faceplate improved speed

[link to this post]

Possibly not unexpected for TBBers to see such headlines!

But my o2 BB speed had been slowly getting worse over the last few weeks. It would normally be 5200-4700-4500 that sort of speed and I'd tolerate it at 3600. But 2400 was taking the you know know what. Phone line is occasionally noisy so I let that clear and I didn't have the best setup see http://sdrv.ms/K5jzyf but it is capable of better.

So I called o2, who got me rebooting the router (made it worse) then connecting to the test socket - result 5400 or so. I reconnected as was and speed went down again, then the splitter into the test socket with some degradation. I had bought a ADSL Nation Filtered Faceplate, not yet fitted. So fitted that and without the wired extension reconnected and was as good as in the test socket. So I then wired the extension back and only got a tiny speed drop.

So well happy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 00:44:23
Print Post

Re: Filtered faceplate improved speed

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

What's that oblong box plugged directly into socket?

Is it a splitter or some sort of Sky Box connector?

If so, it should be after the filter not before. That's cause of your problems.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jul-12 01:17:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
What's that oblong box plugged directly into socket?

Is it a splitter or some sort of Sky Box connector?

If so, it should be after the filter not before. That's cause of your problems.

That is almost certainly a telephony splitter ... often found on the end of fax leads or modem leads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 08:43:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Given that the ADSL is plugged into the filter on that socket it would be better to plug the extension lead that is currently direct into the socket into the filtered side of the ADSL filter. That way the OP would ensure that everything on the other end of the extension is filtered.

Even better still, get a filtered faceplate.
Standard User flippery
(regular) Tue 24-Jul-12 09:19:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I have the same from Kenable. It basically replaces the NTE5 face plate with a plate that has the filter already fitted. There is a separate ADSL and Phone socket incorporated. You can also connect a filtered phone extension to back of plate at pins 2 and 5 which negates a separate filter on extension. There is also a unfiltered connection at back if you want an adsl extension. Works well and no danglies to worry about.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jul-12 10:09:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Assuming his wiring with the XTE-2005 is ADSL cable into the faceplate ADSL socket, phone into the socket of the extension cable, all should now be fine though smile. In effect he will have done what you suggest.

As a few of you have said, the original setup was clearly going to make a mess of things.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 11:28:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Agreed, just a little tidier with a faceplate - no more horrible dangly boxes ...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:02:44
Print Post

Sure, by spending money he will have improved things cosmetically, but he could have improved his actual connection just by swapping a couple of boxes.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 16:05:09
Print Post

If somebody had Sky installed and the installer fitted a splitter with attached extension lead to near the sky box from a non-filtered faceplate, then put a filter for the phone and router on the splitter and put another filter on the end of the extension lead to which a "modem type" cable is connected to the sky box would that cause any serious problems? When making up the extension + splitter for the sky box he probably wouldn't connect the bell wire...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:21:03
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

If what you are saying is that maybe there is/was an ADSL filter at the far end of that extension cable then fair enough. (Assuming there is a Sky box there. Has that been established?). In which case the switch to an XTE-2005 shouldn't have had any significant effect on the broadband unless it was simply a dead dangly at the master, and the Sky box would no longer be talking to the internet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to