General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pingu2
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 00:59:03
Print Post

moving my existing o2 BB to a flat currently supplied by BT

[link to this post]

I am currently with Post office for landline and o2 for broadband. I have moved to a new property which is currently being supplied by BT for landline and broadband.

The landlord wishes to keep his landline and is happy for me to move my broadband onto the phone line. BT has given me a MAC for me to move my broadband across. He does not want to cancel the service.

PROBLEM: when i gave o2 the MAC, o2 insisted that they cannot switch an existing contract across using a MAC. I was told that the MAC only works for new connections and landlord will have to cancel his BT broadband in order for o2 to move my contract across. However, when i cantacted BT, BT insisted that the service can be switched across using the MAC.

I've been calling BT and o2 back to and fro but am not getting anywhere. The landlord is adamant not to cancel the broadband (despite em offering to pay the £30 cancellation charge).

can someone please advise me on what to do?

Thanks.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 01:13:49
Print Post

Re: moving my existing o2 BB to a flat currently supplied by

[re: pingu2] [link to this post]

A MAC is used to switch broadband providers on the SAME line. You cannot use it to move a broadband service from one line to another.
All you can do given the landlords restrictions is use the MAC to switch the BT broadband to a new O2 contract and stop/cancel the old o2 service.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jul-12 01:14:53
Print Post

If he has Broadband on his line and does not want to cancel it, then there is nowhere for your service to be supplied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jul-12 08:40:56
Print Post

As ribble says, cancel and use the mac to start a new O2 contract.

But, not sure how it will go having phone in one name and broadband in another. Plus, if the landlord decided in future to cancel his phone service (or even move supplier) then you could be left without broadband and potentially a bill from O2 for the remainder of the contract.

Wouldn't it be easier for the landlord to have the broadband and then you could pay for it as an addition to rent? Potentially keeps it all simpler.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:31:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If he has Broadband on his line and does not want to cancel it, then there is nowhere for your service to be supplied.
The opening post is slightly confusing, but I read it that the landlord wants to keep the landline with BT but is happy to lose the BT Broadband.

Your reading is also possible, but I think mine is right.

In which case the OP needs to get the BT broadband Ceased, but that will incur a charge. Then get O2 to move the existing contract over as a Home Move.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:53:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I too read it about four different ways ... my post was to try and get teh OP to clarify exactly what he/landlord want to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jul-12 14:38:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

thanks to everyone for their replies.

the landlord want to keep his phoneline, but is happy to lose his BB (for me to move my BB onto his line).

I am still tied in contract with o2 for my BB so i would ideally like to keep it, rather than paying the hefty cancellation charges.

I am happy to pay the £30 cancellation charge for the landlord's BT BB, but he refuses to let me cancel it, not giving me the reason for refusal. This means that the BT BB tag will still be on the line.. and really the only way to migrate it would be to sign up for a new o2 contract??

What would happen if I sign up for a new o2 contract and use the MAC, then cancel my contract within 14 days. would that remove the BT BB tag, therefore enabling me to move my BB over? anyone know?

thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jul-12 14:51:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Use what MAC? The MAC from your existing o2 service is useless

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jul-12 18:29:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The MAC provided by BT - I can use that to sign up for a new O2 contract and that should remove the BT tag from the phoneline, shouldn't it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jul-12 20:12:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That should work, unless there is a stumbling block due to different names, but dont think that matters

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to