General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Petera
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:55:34
Print Post

Which socket is the fastest?

[link to this post]

We have just had a BT junction box replaced by a new master socket. I thought the new master socket must produce the fastest broadband speed. Strangely speed tests at the master socket produce download speeds of about 4,500 kbps, whereas the socket I was using before which is fed by a liine which leaves the master socket, goes outside the house and then re-enters the house again, is producing download speeds of about 5,500 kbps. The upload speeds at the master socket were slightly faster than the second socket.

The tests have been conducted on the Think Broadband speed tester, and some of them with the same ethernet cable and router cable from both sockets. I am puzzled!

Petera

Peter

Edited by Petera (Tue 24-Jul-12 15:02:29)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 15:06:24
Print Post

Re: Which socket is the fastest?

[re: Petera] [link to this post]

Don't rely on speedtest data

Compare the router statistics at each of the sockets.
Standard User Petera
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:52:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Don't rely on speedtest data

Compare the router statistics at each of the sockets.

Thanks very much for your comments. Howeverthe router statistics seem to confirm the speedtest data.

Attached to the master socket bandwidth down/up is 5043 / 712 compared with 6760 / 718 in secondary socket.

SNR 13.5 / 15 compared to 11.5 / 15.1 in secondary socket

Attenuation 36 / 17.5 compared to 35 / 17.7

So the mystery remains!

Petera

Peter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:14:14
Print Post

Photos of the two sockets please smile. Upload them somewhere and post the link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jul-12 10:46:37
Print Post

How the wiring from the outside enters the property and each socket is wired up is key. It may simply be that there is a bad noise source close to the master socket

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Petera
(experienced) Thu 26-Jul-12 12:51:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for all your replies. I have not been able to upload photos of the sockets - but the new master socket is an NTE5 and the secondary socket is an older socket fitted by BT about 2004.

Thank you, Mr Saffron, for the interference suggestion. As far as I can see there are no electrical items nearby.

I have now also tested using the test socket, which unsurprisingly produces the best speed of all - 6673 kbps down and 578 up (router stats 8192/704). However the master socket still produces 4578 / 578 (router 5548 / 696) and the secondary socket produced 5529 / 552 (router stats 6692 / 689).

I suppose the figures point to a fault in my internal wiring - but I have tried disconnecting an extension line I thought might be at fault with no material difference. Would it be worth replacing the faceplate on the NTE5 in case that is at fault? On the other hand it would only produce about an extra 1 mbps so probably not worthwhile.

Peter
  Print Thread

Jump to