General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cdldt
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:20:55
Print Post

Theoretical question - 1 master, 1 extension, 1 cable

[link to this post]

Does anybody have any idea how the following compare?

1) Master socket with basic faceplate --> single pair of cable used -> filtering extension (*1) and phone + VDSL modem (both plugged into extension)
versus
2) Master socket with filtered faceplate (*2) -> two pairs of single cable used -> two basic extensions, one for phone + one for VDSL modem (both plugged into extension)

*1 - e.g. ADSLNation XTE-2005
*2 - e.g. ADSLNation XTF-85

Would these two configurations perform the same, based on:
a) effectively the same length of the same quality cable
b) effectively the same DSL filter design in each

Or are there benefits to one or the other, signal wise (ignoring aesthetics or ease of installation). How about if a noisy or otherwise misbehaving phone were connected to the extension - would having the filter closer to the phone be preferable over having it at the master socket?

edit: minor grammatical error

Edited by cdldt (Mon 30-Jul-12 19:43:23)

Standard User flippery
(regular) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:40:06
Print Post

Re: Theoretical question - 1 master, 1 extension, 1 cable

[re: cdldt] [link to this post]

made no difference in my case. However removing the hanging filter gives a cleaner look.
Installed filter plate to prove a point.
Standard User kmendum
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:50:13
Print Post

I did the same as Flippery, and for the same reasons. The problem comes when there is a fault on your ADSL line and your service provider asks you to try a different microfilter: the dangling microfilter is far easier to change than unscrewing the filtered faceplate.

Technically there is nothing to choose between them AFAIK. I'd stick with the neater installation, personally.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:58:08
Print Post

Should not really matter. However, I always work on the basis of "get the filter in place as early as possible".

A better option would be to install the Master with a filtered faceplate and install the modem close by. Then run Cat5e (2 pair will support 100Mb) to the required location - or use 4 pair and put both telephony (1 pair) and data through it. It will minimise and domestic noise pick up.

With your option2, you could run the two parts in a single cable - no need for two.

Also, when choosing a faceplate make sure it is a VDSL one - people will tell you the ADSL ones work, which they do but their high frequency characteristics are not optimum and can cause a loss of high frequency tomes and this speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cdldt
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 20:16:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Good stuff, thanks for your replies.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 30-Jul-12 21:09:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Also, when choosing a faceplate make sure it is a VDSL one - people will tell you the ADSL ones work, which they do but their high frequency characteristics are not optimum and can cause a loss of high frequency tomes and this speed.
So where would we get a VDSL faceplate and how would we tell the difference? Do the usual ones - XTE-2005, Austin-Taylor, Pressac etc - cover VDSL or are they ADSL only?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Jul-12 21:27:42
Print Post

Errrm tongue smile.

I hope you mean *1 - XTF-85, and *2 - XTE-2005?

I doubt if the installing engineer will wear either solution, unless your cables from the master to the extension(s) are at least CAT5, and not cheapo flat cable ones labelled as such either. I think the only other respondent to pick up on the fact you are talking VDSL2 is MHC.

Note that your solution #2 needs to present an RJ11/45 socket for the modem cable, not a phone socket, if the engineer accepts that layout.

Is there any reason you don't want the engineer to fit the Openreach standard data extension cable, which can be used to re-site the master? Possibly backwired to the original location if a phone is still wanted there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User cdldt
(newbie) Tue 31-Jul-12 08:00:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I hope you mean *1 - XTF-85, and *2 - XTE-2005?

Oops, yes. smile

I doubt if the installing engineer will wear either solution, unless your cables from the master to the extension(s) are at least CAT5, and not cheapo flat cable ones labelled as such either. I think the only other respondent to pick up on the fact you are talking VDSL2 is MHC.

Currently CW1308, but was going to pull some Cat5e (copper not CCA, solid cable).

Note that your solution #2 needs to present an RJ11/45 socket for the modem cable, not a phone socket, if the engineer accepts that layout.

Was probably going to go for a modular socket with two RJ11 or RJ45 modules in that case.

Is there any reason you don't want the engineer to fit the Openreach standard data extension cable, which can be used to re-site the master? Possibly backwired to the original location if a phone is still wanted there.

Because it's an incredibly ugly solution for a problem that may not even exist in all cases where its deemed necessary. There is no way to route that cable in our house without it looking like a complete mess.

Edited by cdldt (Tue 31-Jul-12 08:15:22)

Print Thread

Jump to