My neighbour called round a few days ago to ask if I could look at his internet connection. It had been out for several days following talktalk moving him to their LLU service at the local exchange. He had complained to support many times and got nowhere but they said there was a connection fault on the line and they were looking into getting it repaired (?). After hearing about 10 seconds of him talking I know he doesn't know what's going on and/or support are fobbing him off so I just connect to his router while he is at the door with my laptop (I set it all up so know the wifi/router password, and signal gets to my house).
Quickly see that the router was connected to the exchange fine but just not authenticating properly (I assumed that, the router model didn't specifically give an auth error, I just guessed they may have just gone and changed the details from the old @tiscali he was using). I went round and phoned up Talktalk on his behalf and got through to India quite quickly. I was asked to reboot the router and try a different computer (I said I already had), and then I suggested they go through the login details with me.
At this point, it seems they had changed the logon details without telling him, hence the cause of the issue. New details put in and problem solved within 10 minutes of me looking at it after days of my neighbour trying to sort it with support.
Then another neighbour mentioned to me he had no internet connection the day after. By this point he had been without a connection for an entire week, numerous support calls and even a BT engineer round who replaced all the house wiring and master box and was investigating further as the line was still faulty.
I told him to phone up TalkTalk and check login details. Issue fixed in minutes.
This is two people with a TalkTalk connection who live only 3 doors apart! You'd think I was making this up!
Failings on the part of almost everyone involved. TalkTalk support clearly not troubleshooting properly (but to be fair the person I spoke to was very good), ignorant customers (ultimately the customer has some duty themself to help fix or diagnose the fault - they aren't paying for a managed service), talktalk planning (not emailing customers change of details), and finally a BT engineer for taking a sledgehammer approach to trying to fix something, and then fobbing the customer off with a line fault issue, when the issue is a simple username/pass issue.
Really very worrying how often this may be going on.
Edited by Pipexer (Fri 03-Aug-12 21:03:07)