General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scoot65
(regular) Sat 04-Aug-12 09:35:11
Print Post

Speed Test Reliability???

[link to this post]

Hello.
I'm with BT Total Broadband Option 3
I've done a speed test of my connection using this site's speed test and also BT's own speed test via my BT Hub's web page.

Think Broadband's test gives me a speed of;
Download 10.6 Mbps --- Upload 0.9 Mbps

My BT hub speed test gives;
Download 14.6 Mbps --Upload 1.04 Mbps
IP Profile for my line is 15.69Mbps
Upstream Rate IP Profile on my line is 0.83Mbps

Another Speed Test Website (just googled off the 'net) gave me;
Download speed 10.1 Mbps / Upload 0.8 Mbps

I'm wondering how accurate are these tests are.
The tests were done on the same day Think Broadband's was done 3.00pm and BT's was done at early evening on the same day (last Saturday)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-Aug-12 09:41:34
Print Post

Re: Speed Test Reliability???

[re: scoot65] [link to this post]

Is that option 3 with fibre?

All those speedtests are valid.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User scoot65
(regular) Sun 05-Aug-12 11:55:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
No, not fibre, just the usual copper wire.
So the results are all valid and within expected range?
Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sun 05-Aug-12 12:53:16
Print Post

[re: scoot65] [link to this post]

Those all look valid and within a reasonable range.

I have found the most reliable to be http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ca... . http://speedtest.net/ is also quite good, and thinkbroadband used to be (but seems unalble to handle FTTC well). But remember that any speedtester is just a diagnostic tool, and that results will vary from day to day, with changing traffic on the internet and on the speedtest site.

There are sometimes very odd cases where they are completely invalid. A few years ago an oddity of the way Kaspersky handled traffic meant that many speedtests would report speeds 10 times faster than the maximum the line could possible manage. I find for me (on FTTC) that the BT tests tend to give around 1/2 the proper value for upload. What really matters is the real speeds you get to real sites.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Aug-12 18:01:30
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Those all look valid and within a reasonable range.

I have found the most reliable to be http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ca... . http://speedtest.net/ is also quite good, and thinkbroadband used to be (but seems unalble to handle FTTC well). But remember that any speedtester is just a diagnostic tool, and that results will vary from day to day, with changing traffic on the internet and on the speedtest site.
Yeah, I like that mcslhr site as well. SpeedTest.net underestimates my downstream speed but agrees on the upload (55/16). TBB is better on the downstream but persistently underestimates the upload (70/8).

mcslhr reckons 72/17.

Modem says:

Line rate (kbit/s) 78275 20000

The best real world downloads have been around 8MB/s but I don't download much and some don't get anywhere near that.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Sun 05-Aug-12 18:03:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-12 07:23:31
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Testing on non-FTTC lines that are actually faster suggests it is something odd with the GEA or WBC networks rather than a fundemental issue with us.

You are starting to head into flash and java performance issues with generating upstream data on over 100 Mbps (upload), raw FTP uploads can go faster.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to