General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-12 14:55:28
Print Post

Wireless connection via Sky router

[link to this post]

Just received a phone call from a friend who is at a relative’s house on holiday and is trying to connect to the internet via Sky router. The Network and Sharing window shows he has successfully connected to the router (correct password) but there is a red cross between the network and the internet indicating that the router is not connected to the internet. He has reset the router by powering off and powering it back on. The light on the router says it is connected to the internet. Is there anything else he should do to get a connection to the internet with his laptop? By the way his OS is Vista HP.
I’m sorry I have no other information as I am at another location from where my friend is.

Edited by scopio (Tue 07-Aug-12 15:18:41)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 15:45:57
Print Post

Re: Wireless connection via Sky router

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

On the sky router there are 3 lights

If the bottom one is green then the internet is connected

If it's solid orange / red or not lit at all then there's a problem with the internet.
Standard User scopio
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-12 16:00:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
On the sky router there are 3 lights

If the bottom one is green then the internet is connected

If it's solid orange / red or not lit at all then there's a problem with the internet.

My freind confirms that the three lights are showing green, but still no connection using his laptop!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Aug-12 16:22:42
Print Post

Is his laptop set to obtain IP address and DNS servers automatically?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Tue 07-Aug-12 16:23:32
Print Post

I let it try and sort it's self out by clicking on the wireless thing at the bottom right (is on mine) and right click the wifi of theirs and status then diagnose.

Sorts out problem of mine when computer is having funny turn.

on details when doing the right click, status thing, is the ipV4 address something like 192.168.*.*
Guessing is as you say connected to router.

is the default gateway DHCP and DNS server the same sort of address but the last digits.

The diagnose normally sorts out for me.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Tue 07-Aug-12 16:26:14
Print Post

Like Batboy says.

right click the wifi connection and in properties there is internet protocol v4, is the things in there on auto.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Aug-12 16:30:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Have they double checked using an Ethernet cable, and navigated to the routers web interface. All advice in the leaflets given out by Sky

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 18:04:58
Print Post

My freind confirms that the three lights are showing green, but still no connection using his laptop!

Only goes green when it's completely and utterly connected. This means the router has internet connection and the sky username and password has been accepted. The router has it's IP etc...

It can go solid orange when sky isn't accepting you onto the network.

When it's not lit what-so-ever it means that there's no internet connection to speak of. So e.g. not connected or line fault.

It looks like an issue with his laptop. Try using a different device and see if it works for starters. E.g. an iPhone etc

ALSO if the routers internet connection fails a message appears saying 'no internet connection has been detected.' or 'error 404'

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 07-Aug-12 18:07:42)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 18:10:14
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Like Batboy says.

right click the wifi connection and in properties there is internet protocol v4, is the things in there on auto.

ALSO do this for the ethernet card. If this has a static IP often it stops things working.

Also go into internet explorer - internet options - connections - LAN settings - Ensure 'auto detect settings' is ticked
Standard User scopio
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-12 18:36:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for everyone’s reply, as my friend is on holiday at a relative’s house I’m having to contact him over the mobile phone, so I may take a long time to post anything else until he gives me answers to your posts. So please bear with me. smile
I do think it is a problem with his laptop as he had a similar problem at someone else’s house two weeks ago.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to