General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User elevator
(regular) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:26:40
Print Post

BT

[link to this post]

Not sure why everyone keeps knocking BT since I have been on fiber 80/20, no problems, also had good service since dial up, with only the odd problem.

My Broadband Speed Test

Also is it right that BT are a major if not owner of pulse net, and most of the others (excpt Virgin) use the same copper pair from the exchange to the house?

Edited by elevator (Wed 08-Aug-12 18:28:31)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:53:09
Print Post

Re: BT

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

BT...... "That bad boy over there". smile smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:05:33
Print Post

BT Infinity is definitely good. As are many other suppliers of Openreach FTTC.

BT own Plusnet, yes.

Only Openreach connect users to the exchange. Virgin in parts of the country have their FTTN service, which does not connect to the exchange. In other parts they use the Openreach copper just like every other landline ISP.

Next question? smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 19:15:27
Print Post

I agree here. There's a lot of BT bashing.

I had BT around 10 years ago and had their connection for various years. Switched to AOL which was awful, then eclipse (again not great), back to AOL and finally settled with Sky.

We have a free connection via BT for work matters and although it's not Fibre it works beautifully. Surprisingly work installed the homehub 3 and not the BT business broadband...

It has never gone down for years and years and is more reliable than my Sky connection probably which has started having the odd blip here and there.
Standard User Technode_
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Aug-12 18:24:46
Print Post

"since I have been on fiber 80/20, no problems"

Same here no probs .
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Aug-12 00:41:34
Print Post

[re: Technode_] [link to this post]

What will you use when you come back to the UK?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Aug-12 04:27:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Weetabix?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User robvxr
(learned) Sat 25-Aug-12 09:53:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by elevator:
Not sure why everyone keeps knocking BT since I have been on fiber 80/20, no problems, also had good service since dial up, with only the odd problem.

My Broadband Speed Test

Also is it right that BT are a major if not owner of pulse net, and most of the others (excpt Virgin) use the same copper pair from the exchange to the house?

At the end of the day, very few people head to forums to say positive things about broadband service. People mainly come here with negative issues and questions.

I've been with BT since dial up, no complaints here and whenever things have gone wrong they've been swift to fix it smile

BTBroadband

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Aug-12 10:38:46
Print Post

[re: robvxr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robvxr:
I've been with BT since dial up, no complaints here and whenever things have gone wrong they've been swift to fix it smile
That's very true, people do (mostly)only turn to forums when things are going badly.

BUT - I couldn't help notice how poor your speedtest results are!
I take it you are on a VERY long line and BT aren't able to help your situation wink

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Aug-12 09:20:43
Print Post

[re: Technode_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Technode_:
"since I have been on fiber 80/20, no problems"

Same here no probs .
I've had a couple of issues with FTTC but it's still unclear what they were. I've had bad throughput drops twice now. It's not been the modem since that's unlocked and still connected at full speed. The first incident lasted two weeks then recovered over night. The most recent one lasted three days and was cured by me rebooting my router (which didn't work the first time).

My ISP swears blind it's not them so I can only assume some kind of routing problem within BT's network.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to