General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davidfrancis
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 17:02:30
Print Post

Second line for second broadband link

[link to this post]

Hi,

Please could someone advice exactly what is involved when getting a second line installed in our home?
We need to get a second line to get a second broadband link put in, so would not want any line splitting or anything to be involved - we'd want full speed broadband on both lines.

Also, there are no telegraph poles around here so I'm guessing the lines are underground. Does this complicate things further? Are BT likely to have to dig up the pavement?

Thanks,

David Francis
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 13-Aug-12 17:16:26
Print Post

Re: Second line for second broadband link

[re: davidfrancis] [link to this post]

it is very likely that there are two pairs coming into your property in a single cable, which can carry two lines (one pair each).

If you place a simultaneous order for broadband and phone line it may improve your chances, otherwise you'll have to get the phone line then order broadband on it when the number appears on the databases.

If you go the "separate" route ask for the order to state that you will be using the line for broadband.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 17:19:17
Print Post

Physically: Most houses already have 2 pairs (lines) going to the house. It's just a matter of joining up the unused one.

Contractually: You can order the 2nd line from any provider.

Who is current line with? If BT, you can order the 2nd line from them by phone or online and they will charge you £40 (or free if you also take BB from them).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 18:30:44
Print Post

Hi as mentioned it should not be a problem to get a second line. I would use TalkTalk personally as they are the cheapest. @ £6.50 plus phone line rental. It is now unlimited.

Can I ask why you want a second line. as there are many ways to have different ip addresses if that is what you need. I personally have virgin 100mb and a fon box for different ip addresses.
regards
Jon
ps what isp do you currently have.
Standard User davidfrancis
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:09
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately it sounds straightforward.
I say "unfortunately" as I do not actually want a second line, my employer to forcing this change on me. I am currently perfectly happy using my own Zen connection for teleworking purposes.

Are there are reasons why another line could not be installed in a property?
Perhaps if there were, for example, already two lines into that property?

Regards,

David F
Standard User partial
(regular) Mon 13-Aug-12 21:26:48
Print Post

If the house is pre 1980, I would expect a hole in the pavement to turn the second line in unless the tee has already been dug out and a box sunk on it. If it is post 1980 I would expect a dig free second line. I would not expect any 'splitter' to be used nowadays.

Edited by partial (Mon 13-Aug-12 21:31:08)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Aug-12 23:10:25
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
If the house is pre 1980, I would expect a hole in the pavement to turn the second line in unless the tee has already been dug out and a box sunk on it.
??? My house is 1976 (built & BT phone installed) and it already had a 2nd pair coming overhead to roof when I had 2nd line in about 2000.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Aug-12 07:20:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

What Partial is saying, is that it is common for premises built around the late Sixties, early Seventies, where service is provided underground, to have a lead in cable which only gives the option of one line.

Who'd have thought anyone would ever require a second line !

The answer is, order it. If the line needs a provision dig, so be it. T'ain't no biggy.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Aug-12 08:05:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The answer is, order it. If the line needs a provision dig, so be it. T'ain't no biggy.

The OP is looking for reasons not to do it so placing the order is more likely just to prove it can be done.

OP: If the employer is paying for the line then why not just let them do it? Or is it because they then won't pay for your "proper" line? In most cases there isn't much stopping a 2nd line so I suspect you are going to have to have a discussion with your employer rather than hope for an act of god (/BT).
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 14-Aug-12 09:53:40
Print Post

You can have potentially as many lines as you like. The main restrictions will be availability of line plant ( cables/ pairs ) and the cost to you. Any costs above the standard connection fee are directly chargeable for 2nd lines , so if openreach need to provide extra line plant just to provide additional lines for you , you will be liable for the extra costs.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to