General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-12 18:51:54
Print Post

multi-cast services

[link to this post]

whats this going to give me extra? I understand multi-cast. I am currently using SKY as a service and waiting for the FTTC to become order-able. What is reality can the multi cast service provide to me that I would not get already. Is this just and ISP bandwidth saving tool?

>>>>Furthermore your exchange is enabled for multi-cast services on copper lines and due to be enabled on fiber lines by 30th September 2012, please contact your provider for further details.<<<<<

IanD
Standard User Toonshorty
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-12 23:59:43
Print Post

Re: multi-cast services

[re: iand] [link to this post]

It appears to be some kind of fibre based TV service.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Aug-12 02:45:44
Print Post

Streaming tv channels to isp tv boxes such as fx etc comming soon to bt vision

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 13:23:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Makes sense, BT paid a lot of money for Premier League TV rights so they'll probably be multicasting their content across fttc. Perhaps Youview will join in too.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 18-Aug-12 13:26:13)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Aug-12 10:00:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by iand:
Is this just and ISP bandwidth saving tool?
Basically, yes. But that's good for all of us. Broadcasting TV over the net without multicasting is a horrible waste of bandwidth. Without multicasting hundreds of thousands of identical data streams get sent across the country's network at the same time. Multicasting has the potential to vastly reduce that freeing up expensive bandwidth for other things or - more likely - helping reduce ISP costs which will hopefully filter through to our wallets smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Aug-12 09:08:14
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I suspect the multicast would only be within the ISPs network and primarily for ISP generated content (such as the BT vision and Sky streaming services).

I think BT can do this on some scale but only where they control the distribution. At any point outside of the BT network they will lose control and Multicast will stop.

Is anyone working on Multicast for the Internet? The number of routers involved I suspect would make this a very daunting challenge.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Aug-12 09:46:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I suspect the multicast would only be within the ISPs network and primarily for ISP generated content (such as the BT vision and Sky streaming services).

I think BT can do this on some scale but only where they control the distribution. At any point outside of the BT network they will lose control and Multicast will stop.

Is anyone working on Multicast for the Internet? The number of routers involved I suspect would make this a very daunting challenge.
Multi-cast is part of the GEA specification and last I read it appeared to be available to anyone using FTTC. Sounds a little too sensible in my opinion but BT aren't complete idiots - they do have all the parts though smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 20-Aug-12 10:00:19
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

To my mind there has to be some good effect on user pricing, and in many cases performance as well.

As the ISP drops it to the exchanges once, the user inevitably has lower throughput on the ISP's routers. No doubt the savings there will be party cancelled out by whatever and how the ISP is charged by OR for the service.

I haven't read up on the OR implementation. Does anyone know if the ISP drops once to OR, or once to each exchange that it chooses?

The performance will come down solely to that of the copper from the cabinet. No ISP congestion or backhaul congestion.

crazy It can't be that simple, or that good crazy ? Can it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Aug-12 10:33:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT Vision, YouView et al are all candidates for using this.

As yet none of the IPTV services utilise the possibilities of FTTC/P, they still restrict themselves to 2 to 3 Mbps streams.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 20-Aug-12 17:11:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, I wonder how long it might be before the cost to stream via multicast is lower than the costs to use a transmission network or satellite for broadcast television. Many Smart TV sets, decoder boxes and games consoles have ethernet or wireless built in, after all.. All the required kit is in place, just need the multicast service!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to