General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 33wheeler
(newbie) Mon 20-Aug-12 15:58:37
Print Post

Future proofing a house

[link to this post]

I'm planning to replace my kitchen and decorate the living room and planning ahead a little. I currently have an old style master socket in the kitchen, the router is also in here, and have a LAN cable connecting this to my HUMAX freesat box in the living room (doesn't have wifi).

I was going to ask BT to install a modern master socket, but I think that if you get BT Infinity (not yet available to me) they fit a new one anyway - is that true? If so it seems a waste of money to replace the old one before then.

With BT Infinity or similar connected to games consoles and smart TVs (I will upgrade soon by know nothing right now), streaming movies etc - is there any need to connect wires between the two, cos now's the time to route them if it may be useful later.

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Aug-12 16:14:03
Print Post

Re: Future proofing a house

[re: 33wheeler] [link to this post]

Yes Infinity they will fit a new master if old one is not of the modern sort - same with the other FTTC suppliers.

Suprised you've lasted this long using wireless if you have. Always found it fine for web browsing and IM, but for watching full length films and gaming the drop-outs and latency variation were too much.

Good CAT5e infrastructure wiring, i.e. installed cables with sockets, so just a small patch lead needed to connect devices is best way to go. I need a five port switch under TV as got so many things there.

If going for full future proofing with money no object then you'd consider installing fibre now, and perhaps using media converters. If I was building a brand new house certainly I would go that route. CAT5e and CAT6 cabling though is cheaper and should have a good ten year life span.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to