General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 21-Aug-12 16:15:26
Print Post

BT or scam number?

[link to this post]

I recived a call today from 08000285085. So I called it back and it claims to be from BT. The messages was poor quality which made me suspicious that it is a scam.

So call BT to check if it was them. First adviser cut me off for no reaon and second did no seem to know if it was BT or not. Not impressed.

Asked to speak with manager and he did not know other than saying, he could not find anything on the sytem or looks like it.

He then told me to call 0800321999. That is of no use either.

BT should know if it is one of ther numbers or not. I did a google check and I have seen conflicting statements.

I think it is a scam but just woneder if anyone knows for sure.
Standard User omnius
(regular) Tue 21-Aug-12 16:18:23
Print Post

Re: BT or scam number?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Doing a quick google id say yes, it seems to be bt newcastle

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t...

Edited by omnius (Tue 21-Aug-12 16:23:18)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Aug-12 16:22:14
Print Post

I would think it a tad unusual for a scam to use an 0800 number - opening themselves up to some very expensive phone bills. Did you answer the call when it came in? If so, what were they trying to get you to do? If you didn't then personally I would ignore it - the fact you can't talk to anyone on that number means it isn't worth time trying to trace it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 21-Aug-12 16:28:31
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Some do use 800 numbers. No did not answer but I called it back. BT used to keep calling me with sales calls and had a lot of trouble getting them to stop. With TPS as well.

You do get scam call with people pretending to be from someone like bt, thats why i'm asking because BT are useless and don't know themselfs.

I don't have any servcie with BT other than landline.
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(member) Tue 21-Aug-12 17:15:52
Print Post

Plenty of people been pestered here from that number.

Scottish_Pete

Zen Active

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Aug-12 17:42:20
Print Post

[re: Scottish_Pete] [link to this post]

I get regular calls from BT - also from an 0800 number which I haven't got to hand.

My phone service is with BT but my broadband isn't which I guess is why I'm at the top of their list! Each time they ring I explain that I'm not interested and ask to be removed from their call list - which each time they say they will do. But still the calls keep coming grin

Perhaps BT's PR people should work out that if you end up annoying people they will be less likely to ever use their service!!!

Did I mention they also write to me a couple of times a month as well...
The last few have been giant poster type adverts that go straight into the recycling without unfolding tongue

Bait for BT DebateScape: Very Bad BT Broadband Customer Service - so they get the message! smile

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 21-Aug-12 20:33:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
BT should know if it is one of ther numbers or not. I did a google check and I have seen conflicting statements.

So, you expect everyone in BT to know which phone numbers are allocated to BT staff? With around 80,000 numbers, including large numbers of 0800, 0808, 0845, &c that is a near impossible task.

Could you tell me which numbers your company uses? Probably not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 21-Aug-12 22:27:25
Print Post

What was the nature of the message, that led you to suspect a scam? Were they asking for money or bank details?
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Wed 22-Aug-12 01:36:39
Print Post

Some do use 800 numbers. No did not answer but I called it back. BT used to keep calling me with sales calls and had a lot of trouble getting them to stop. With TPS as well.

You do get scam call with people pretending to be from someone like bt, thats why i'm asking because BT are useless and don't know themselfs.

I don't have any servcie with BT other than landline.

Just for the record, I've used several ISPs over the years. Whereas my land line has been with BT for the majority of the period, with Orange taking that on as well, when I got a special broadband deal thru' my son's mobile contract.
What decided me to go back to BT for everything (Broadband for the first time), was the superb service I got from BT Openreach. The latter made several visits to my property to identify and correct connection weaknesses from the cabinet, to the overhead cable connecting my phone and broadband to my home. Also identifying that internal extension wiring to a 2nd phone was having a negative affect on my broadband speed.
However, the penny suddenly dropped about 8 months ago, that I was never going to get the best broadband service for the cheapest price. So I put all my eggs in one basket with BT, and even got several months free broadband! The move has resulted in our family now enjoying consistent download speeds of 15 Mb, with 0.9 Mb upload (plus the use of many free BT "hot spots", when travelling around the UK with a laptop). Whereas under Orange, Sky & V21 we never reached 15 Mb download, and also experienced really poor speeds @ peak usage times (as low as 2 Mb download).
Also we have the added bonus of upgrading to FTTC (BT Infinity) when it comes available to our postcode next month. Of course this will cost about 15% more than we are paying for our current broadband service, however if our video streaming improves significantly - it will be worth it.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Aug-12 07:44:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

So, you expect everyone in BT to know which phone numbers are allocated to BT staff? With around 80,000 numbers, including large numbers of 0800, 0808, 0845, &c that is a near impossible task.

Could you tell me which numbers your company uses? Probably not.

You would have at least thought BT Security would have access or knowledge of a database with that number listed and be able to verify though. I would agree that every BT employee committing every number to memory would be unreasonable.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to