General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnfower
(newbie) Fri 24-Aug-12 04:12:12
Print Post

Strange Broadband Problems

[link to this post]

Hi All
I'm having a strange problem with my internet connection and wondered if this is common or unusual....
I contacted my ISP (Orange) due to low speeds and broadband cutting out. A BT engineer attended and carried out various tests and found no problems. However, on an occasion when I use my livebox router, the Livebox Status connection shows connected, however the PC shows no internet connection, same on other devices (mobile/laptop). When I changed to a different modem, the internet connected. Then sometime later this modem lost its connection (still showed connected) but computer received nothing again. I changed back to livebox and that works.
Resetting the modems doesnt work, even turning off for a while doesnt work. Im wondering if there just 2 poor quality modems. Annoying because at my previous address I had no problems. frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 24-Aug-12 08:49:25
Print Post

Re: Strange Broadband Problems

[re: johnfower] [link to this post]

Read through what you've posted, seems to be home networking/rubbish wifi problem.

try using an ethernet cable.
Standard User Lambo
(newbie) Fri 24-Aug-12 09:30:11
Print Post

I had this problem for a while with TalkTalk - kept losing connection/slow speeds. When I swopped routers (D-Link and Netgear) all worked OK for a while, then did the same thing - slow speeds etc. I bought another router second hand from eBay - Netgear 834 GT, and it's been fine ever since. The other routers would work for a while and then give trouble - I assumed it was some sort of problem at the exchange with automatic adjustment on the line - it's a long one. I now get the right speed for my line and it's stable. There's discussion on the forum about matching chipsets with router/exchange - I'm not technical enough to comment on that, but there could be something in it for long lines? I use cable for connection not wireless.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Aug-12 09:46:22
Print Post

Ruling out any wireless issues is one thing, and checking you can access the routers web status pages is another.
Also what is the target noise margin when this happens?

Have had modems behave like this before, and usually an off/on fixes it. Happens when a line has a very variable amount of noise and modem crashes usually.

First step to a solution is check your normal connection speed is correct for the line attenuation you have.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Aug-12 09:59:48
Print Post

Post your router stats and results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (not Betas).

Is PC connected by wireless? If so connect by cable.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User johnfower
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:41:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Test under wireless connection
Download speed 6.73
Upload 0.38
Ping Latency 42.50

Ethernet connection test:
Download speed 6.75
Upload 0.32
Ping Latency 52.63
Standard User johnfower
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:45:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Also what is the target noise margin when this happens?
I wouldnt know how to check this to be honest. I had no problems at my previous address, however Ive had problems at my new address and BT cant find any problems. I've tried two different modems and they both seem to develop the same problems
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:48:00
Print Post

I never asked for your bare speedtests but
In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Post your router stats and results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (not Betas).
else we can't help you.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:54:41
Print Post

The router/line stats XRaySpeX asked for, when taken immediately after connecting, give us the "target" noise margin and many other important things. With luck, this link tells you how to get them from the Orange Livebox.

What's your other router please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Aug-12 14:56:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Aug-12 15:08:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnfower:
I wouldnt know how to check this to be honest.
How to get your router line stats

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to