General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cazmal
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 05:05:21
Print Post

Large unknown uploads - help to identify

[link to this post]

As the title really.
We have just changed to BT after 12 ish years with Pipex/TalkTalk. With Pipex we had unlimited broadband so didn't know how much we were using. Now the BT usage facility shows massive uploads - approximately 3 times as much as downloads (4.98GB vs 11.31GB in 2 weeks) but we cannot see what this is from.
We have 2 windows pcs which have Norton - scans show nothing of concern. My daughter has a Macbook and uses a ps3 online occasionally, the Mac has no antivirus software. These all connect via a wireless network.

We are thinking that there may be some nefarious program that is utilising bandwidth without our knowing - is this possible?
My next step is to thoroughly check the Macbook but does anyone have any other siuggestions please?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 06:34:26
Print Post

Re: Large unknown uploads - help to identify

[re: cazmal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cazmal:
As the title really.
We have just changed to BT after 12 ish years with Pipex/TalkTalk. With Pipex we had unlimited broadband so didn't know how much we were using. Now the BT usage facility shows massive uploads - approximately 3 times as much as downloads (4.98GB vs 11.31GB in 2 weeks) but we cannot see what this is from.
We have 2 windows pcs which have Norton - scans show nothing of concern. My daughter has a Macbook and uses a ps3 online occasionally, the Mac has no antivirus software. These all connect via a wireless network.

We are thinking that there may be some nefarious program that is utilising bandwidth without our knowing - is this possible?
My next step is to thoroughly check the Macbook but does anyone have any other siuggestions please?

Dose your daughter or your self use P2P EG torrents if so check that these have not been uploading to them self's because this can rack up a lot of bandwidth in no time at all

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User mikebear
(learned) Tue 28-Aug-12 07:17:04
Print Post

The days when you could safely use a Mac without AV are long since gone, so install the free AV program from Sophos :- http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/soph...

I suggest you install Bitmeter 2 on machines with Windows as it logs bandwidth use and can sit as a very small window in the corner of the screen showing downloading/uploading as it takes place. See http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2

I don't think there is a Mac version but by subtraction you should get a fair idea if the Mac uses most of the bandwidth.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 08:58:37
Print Post

The two most likely causes are torrents/P2p, which has been mentioned, and someone deliberately or accidentally, (it does happen accidentally), leaching off your wireless conenction to do the same.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but P2P means just that. If you download things using it, then when someone else wants the same thing you will be one of the providers uploading one of the streams that other person is downloading.

What wireless security have you got - WEP is useless, though of course none is worse. You need WPA2 with a complex password. You can also check what is connected via your wireless link, through your router GUI.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 11:03:34
Print Post

bbc iplayer has something called kontiki ? that is essentially a legal p2p service that uses your connection to reduce their server costs

personally not worried as on an unlimited connection smile

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 11:11:31
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

They stopped using the P2P client years ago.
Standard User cazmal
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 11:31:19
Print Post

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikebear:
The days when you could safely use a Mac without AV are long since gone, so install the free AV program from Sophos :- http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/soph...

I suggest you install Bitmeter 2 on machines with Windows as it logs bandwidth use and can sit as a very small window in the corner of the screen showing downloading/uploading as it takes place. See http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2

I don't think there is a Mac version but by subtraction you should get a fair idea if the Mac uses most of the bandwidth.

Thanks for this - will probably try bitmeter, as you say it'll identify which machine is doing the damage!

As far as I am aware, I do not use torrents or P2P but cannot speak for my daughter (20y/o) What sort of things will be using these - messenger type programs? Will be looking at antivirus for the mac.
Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 28-Aug-12 11:35:22
Print Post

Try Surplusmeter for Mac Usage.
Standard User cazmal
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 11:42:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The two most likely causes are torrents/P2p, which has been mentioned, and someone deliberately or accidentally, (it does happen accidentally), leaching off your wireless conenction to do the same.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but P2P means just that. If you download things using it, then when someone else wants the same thing you will be one of the providers uploading one of the streams that other person is downloading.

What wireless security have you got - WEP is useless, though of course none is worse. You need WPA2 with a complex password. You can also check what is connected via your wireless link, through your router GUI.

Have checked my GUI and only known devices are attached, We have WPA and WPA2 security with a strong password.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 12:16:56
Print Post

Programs would be
utorrent, bittorrent, azureus / vuze, bitlord etc...
A decent list is here

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BitTorrent_...

Perhaps an unlimited package would be a good option

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 28-Aug-12 12:17:27)

Print Thread

Jump to