General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User s5s
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:02:02
Print Post

Broadband connection waitlist

[link to this post]

So I've moved into a new flat after graduation. I didn't know this but apparently (at least in the UK and where I live) I've got to wait for over a month for a technician to come to my house and connect me. I've got no phone line so broadband can't really just be switched on.

So annoying...especially when I have already waited for 1.5 months and today the stupid company who do the connection setup didn't call my phone for me to go out of the house (I have 2 front doors so it's hard to hear) and I missed the technician.

There must be a way to get connected for a fee. I mean I'll pay for my connection procedure myself. How can I do this? I've no idea. I know that all companies in the UK use openreach which does the connection setup for them so all ISP's quote the same date for connecting me. It's not like ISP A can connect me in a month but ISP B can do it tomorrow.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:17:15
Print Post

Re: Broadband connection waitlist

[re: s5s] [link to this post]

If this is a Virgin Media cable connection then the following does not apply.

There used to be an option for Openreach phone lines where you could expedite the telephone and broadband installs for something like £150, but cannot find any info at the moment.
Found a little info http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-prices-full.html

But the retail providers that offer the option tend to be the more business focussed ones. Also as you have an order already in the system it is probably too late to speed things up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User s5s
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:24:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, I'm actually thinking of cancelling my order. They are charging me a £150 (one off) for connecting which is discounted to just over £100. Then I pay £30/month. That's O2. I can get the same deal with Talk Talk for £12.25/month and no connection fee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:29:38
Print Post

The expedite fee is on top of any standard fee, which if you have no line will be around the £150 mark, unless you manage to find a special offer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User s5s
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 19:37:31
Print Post

Right yeah...I think I'm gonna cancel my current order. IT's not a contract - it's an order. Any recommendation for a provider? I would use mainly use my connection late evenings/overnight with some p2p. I was looking at TT but their Unlimited* states that they can retract it at any time i.e. I'm going to be on a metered connection after month 1.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Aug-12 20:00:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by s5s:
(I have 2 front doors so it's hard to hear) and I missed the technician
1) Why two front doors?

2) Did you leave a note advising the technician they needed to knock loudly?

3) Do you know for sure the technician had your mobile number?

4) Did you advise the company to have the technician call your mobile in case of problems?

Too late this time but things to think about next time you are expecting a delivery or visitor.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User s5s
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 20:04:24
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

1) I'm renting smile and not allowed to make changes.
2) No I didn't but I was told he will ring me before coming.
3) Yes. And I was told everything is fine and he has the information needed. Otherwise I'd have spend a bit more time around the window that overlooks the front door.
4) I did ask them and they said that he will definitely ring.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Aug-12 22:42:32
Print Post

The cheap talktalk has its unlimited on a 12 month deal for now, but the more expensive one has been unlimited for years

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-12 23:45:44
Print Post

You can't fast track standard PSTN lines any more only the broadband.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Aug-12 09:30:43
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

That explains why not seeing it - ta.

Print Thread

Jump to