General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Aug-12 12:00:57
Print Post

best broadband with dynamic IP

[link to this post]

Hi!

At work I have a BT phone line which managment has asked me to install ADSL broadband on. They were specific about it being as high speet as possible and for the IP to be dynamic, not static.

Does anyone have any provider suggestions that would fit these cryteria?

Thanks very much
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 30-Aug-12 12:07:17
Print Post

Re: best broadband with dynamic IP

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Put your phone number in the checker and see what it says http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Aug-12 12:11:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
At work I have a BT phone line which managment has asked me to install ADSL broadband on. They were specific about it being as high speet as possible and for the IP to be dynamic, not static.
?
Are you absolutely sure you have that the right way round? Normally companies require home connections to be static IP, (if they are bothered about it at all), so they can hard code it in their firewall whitelist.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Aug-12 14:21:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yeah, 100% sure -- it must be a dynamic IP
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Aug-12 14:58:16
Print Post

You've stated "at work". How many people is this for? What sort of support requirements do you have?

You might need to go for a business contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Aug-12 15:08:34
Print Post

So there isn't any broadband on the line at the moment then? Or is there, but with a static IP?

If you have broadband, which ISP, and can you find the line stats please? See here for help.

If you haven't, we could do with a paste of what the checker BatBoy asked you for. That tells us the sorts of speed, and also the exchange, which we need to know anyway.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Aug-12 15:17:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ther isn't any broadband on the line, atm. I'm connected to the Holborn exchange in London. I've talked to BT and they say that all of their IP's are Dynamic as standard, you have to pay for a static. Is it like that for all other providers?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Aug-12 15:20:08
Print Post

Is it like that for all other providers? No, some providers only give static IP, as there is no technical advantage to dynamic IP addresses and once IPv6 becomes standard even more so.

If in Holborn what is the budget, as if you speed a few hundred a month you could have fibre.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Aug-12 16:48:55
Print Post

As MrSaffron says smile.

Plus.

Your employer doesn't seem to be making a lot of sense here, or is there anything you haven't told us? What is this connection going to be used for? Because as well as speed there is the question of how much is to downloaded and uploaded. Many ISPs charge by the amount.

Did they mention the upload speed? Or just the download. It's quite unusual for downstream speed to matter a lot for work use within the UK unless huge amounts are to be downloaded, and that would be odd if there isn't much to upload.

We still need the output from what BatBoy asked for. Without it we have no idea what speed you can get, and that affects what we recommend.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Aug-12 16:49:54)

Print Thread

Jump to