General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 02-Sep-12 15:06:32
Print Post

My Router reboots continuously

[link to this post]

I bought my Sitecom DC-227 wired modem about 4 months ago and have had no problems at all until just over a week ago when on one day, the router started rebooting almost continuously - nearly always when I was using the internet. It happened whether I was using IE9 or Firefox. I wondered if it was someone trying to hack in or possibly it might be a problem with the modem. Since that one day, it has run perfectly until today, when it has done it about a dozen times again. I was told I don't really need a Firewall as my router had one built in & I also have the Windows 7 firewall running as well. What circumstances would cause this to happen?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Sep-12 15:55:41
Print Post

Re: My Router reboots continuously

[re: geoffo] [link to this post]

Reboot or resync the ADSL connection?

The router rebooting is usually down to its internal software crashing, e.g. too many connections.

The ADSL resync is something that everyone with ADSL has to put up with now and then.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User geoffo
(newbie) Sun 02-Sep-12 17:07:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I've only one connection coming off my router, but when you say "Resync the ADSL connection", how would I go about doing that? - suppose I'm saying I don't fully understand what you mean by that?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Sep-12 17:15:02
Print Post

[re: geoffo] [link to this post]

Resync the ADSL - most routers have an option to drop the internet connection, or renegotiate the WAN connection to describe it a bit differntly.

A router crashing and a ADSL resync give the same sympton of losing internet connection, but if its the router crashing you should find that you cannot access the routers web interface while it crashes.

For a ADSL resync the web interface should still be accessible, and will display zero connection speed until the resync is complete.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to