General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KINGMUZZAUK
(regular) Tue 04-Sep-12 08:58:21
Print Post

Wrong Address with BT but they wont change it

[link to this post]

Basically moved into a house where i got the line reconnected by BT 10 months ago

Problem is the address openreach have for my line is in another village miles away with a totally different postcode. Problem is i have spoken to BT who put me through to openreach where i spoke to a guy who told me they cant change the address? So i left it a few weeks and rang up again. Spoke to openreach again and was told the same! It cant be changed even though its the totally wrong address?

I have online billing and bt have my address as a correspondence address or something!

Well now Talk Talk have unbundled my exchange (Standeford) it is worth changing from my £28 month broadband/ line rental to talktalks £13 with offer. I dont download much. Problem is whenever i check my line it comess up sayoing postcode does not match telephone number and when it does it comes up with really slow speeds.
When i go to order talktalk it states there is no telephone line at my address (but there is)?

I want to go through quidco so cannot ring them to order and tell them to send the router to the correct address?

Now i wanted to know if there are any problems with doing the following:-

Getting talktalk to install a new telephone line (2nd line) then cancelling my old line with BT.

I had read somewhere that a 2nd line is chargeable is that true? or are there any other problems or charges i might recieve?

Edited by KINGMUZZAUK (Tue 04-Sep-12 08:59:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 09:25:56
Print Post

Re: Wrong Address with BT but they wont change it

[re: KINGMUZZAUK] [link to this post]

I suggest you email the Openreach CEO's office. olivia.garfield@openreach.co.uk

Don't mention the stuff about TT, just the first three paragraphs of your post, and the inconvenience of having the wrong address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 09:38:35
Print Post

Heh! Did you ask them where they would send the engineer if your line/number developed a fault?

As another point, this could have serious implications for your ability to get a fibre connection.

Both of those questions you could ask in the email. (I suggest also giving the number and your correct address. How did you find out that they have it wrong anyway?)

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 04-Sep-12 09:41:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Sep-12 09:46:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And how did they get it wrong in the first place?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 09:53:23
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Clerical error probably. Maybe it's a new postcode and wasn't on their database, so someone assumed the OP had filled it in wrong, and went for the nearest similar.

It could even be that the postcode was there, but next to another on an address database. We have that situation. There is number/road, Hazel Grove, Stockport, postcode, and the same without the "Hazel Grove" and with a different postcode. We still get address lookup people selecting the wrong one frown. Postcode lookups of course get it right.

Standard User KINGMUZZAUK
(regular) Tue 04-Sep-12 10:45:11
Print Post

Thanks to you all for your advice. It started when i rang to get the line connected. They said there was no line at my address and i said there was a dial tone and they told me to do the 17070 or something bt line test.

That way i didnt have to pay for a new line install they just reconnected it.

After connection never thought nothing of it as online billing etc....

untill i wanted broadband ...i rang up bt as websites would say number doesnt match postcode. The address was correct that i gave them to order the reconnection but bt had put my real address down as a correspondence address so when they asked security questions like " What is your address" I didnt have a clue what address they had! I Had to speak to about 3 or 4 people before getting nowhere. Ordered broadband from plusnet where i got all the same problems but EVENTUALLY got a router delivered!! again online billing!!

Think it will be a long winded way to send emails to openreach and probably take months to sort so really want to start from scratch with the 2nd line install if possible. That way it will be correct from the start. And i can cancel the bt line in a few weeks!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Sep-12 13:13:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by KINGMUZZAUK:
And i can cancel the bt line in a few weeks!
Aren't you on 18 months contract for 1 of them?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 04-Sep-12 16:12:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
We have that situation. There is number/road, Hazel Grove, Stockport, postcode, and the same without the "Hazel Grove" and with a different postcode. We still get address lookup people selecting the wrong one frown. Postcode lookups of course get it right.

I have exactly the same situation at my address! The other address, in the nearby town, which unfortunately is the post town for the village (I tend to leave it out on anything not too official) is a corner shop, above which various tenants of dubious repute come and go. It seems that many of them look up their own postcode and end up choosing mine, so I get their bills, final demands, court papers, bailiffs letters, etc. Such fun.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 06-Oct-12 19:13:24
Print Post

I have the exact same problem only its sky i'm trying to switch to. Currently the Post Office and BT have my correct correspondance address but openreach is wrong. I havent been able as yet to contact them directly and i'm going to try the e-mail address provided above. However, I'm also looking into canceling my existing line and installing a new one also. Would appreciate any updates on how you get on and I'll do likewise cause currently stuck in an expensive broadband deal and I'm fed up running round in circles and contacting customer support teams to resolve the issue.
Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 19:17:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Who are you replying to? It certainly isn't me. (There is a reply button against each post smile).

By asking me, you won't trigger the person you intended to ask to post anything useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to