General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ih8modem
(newbie) Tue 04-Sep-12 14:42:40
Print Post

Problems with line for past 2 weeks

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, hoping some technical experts can help me out.

I have a ADSL line that is configured for up to 8 MB (ADSL 1 I believe is the terminology BT will use). My ISP is connected via WBMC but my line is profiled at only up to 8mb for internal reasons.

I have had this line in this house for around 5 years, always achieving pretty good speeds, hardly ever retraining or losing signal. Speedtesters always show download of 6.5Mbps Down, 700 up. On Thursday 23 august I lost my signal completely. It was reported to BT via ISP helpdesk, who could not find a problem. Two days later the signal returned but my modem spent the better part of 48 hours retraining. It would stay up for a few minutes then start again.

Eventually the modem trained at 1792Kb down and 672Kb up. My Noise Margin is at 11 db for both up and down and my output power is 121 Down / 187 Up. Attentuation is 35 Down, 22 Up. Noise Margin I noticed over the past two days went from 9 on downstream to 11.

I have plugged the modem into the main test socket and disconnected all extensions, the result is no better.

Here are my previous speed test results from this site : (the low upload speed on second entry was when we moved from IPStream to WBMC on the interconnection)
20/05/12 20:50 Sun 6792 Kbps 751 Kbps 139.92.23.68 work
28/03/12 09:41 Wed 5793 Kbps 365 Kbps 32.106.98.45 work
12/03/12 17:43 Mon 6162 Kbps 696 Kbps 139.92.106.203 work
21/09/09 08:58 Mon 6135 Kbps 615 Kbps 139.92.20.218 work

and here is my test today :
04/09/12 14:34 Tue 1503 Kbps 564 Kbps 139.92.19.58 work

BTW speedtest (further diagnostics) shows :
Download speed achieved : 1.63Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 1.58Mbps
Upload speed achieved 0.49Mbps
Upstream Rate Profile 0.83Mbps

So where does the problem lie ? I want my ISP to chase this and restore it to being as it was before the outage on the 23rd (if thats possible). I also would like to know how I can measure my distance to exchange (straight line and wired ?)

Any pointers much appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 04-Sep-12 14:53:01
Print Post

Re: Problems with line for past 2 weeks

[re: ih8modem] [link to this post]

Keep your eye on the sync speeds and the noise margin, especially on the downstream. The relationship between those two usually indicates if there's a problem.

What router do you have?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Sep-12 15:28:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Also double check that the stats are identical from the test socket. Someone may have done something not so obvious to the wiring in the home.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-12 17:37:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ih8modem:
Hi everyone, hoping some technical experts can help me out.

I have a ADSL line that is configured for up to 8 MB (ADSL 1 I believe is the terminology BT will use). My ISP is connected via WBMC but my line is profiled at only up to 8mb for internal reasons.

I have had this line in this house for around 5 years, always achieving pretty good speeds, hardly ever retraining or losing signal. Speedtesters always show download of 6.5Mbps Down, 700 up. On Thursday 23 august I lost my signal completely. It was reported to BT via ISP helpdesk, who could not find a problem. Two days later the signal returned but my modem spent the better part of 48 hours retraining. It would stay up for a few minutes then start again.

Eventually the modem trained at 1792Kb down and 672Kb up. My Noise Margin is at 11 db for both up and down and my output power is 121 Down / 187 Up. Attentuation is 35 Down, 22 Up. Noise Margin I noticed over the past two days went from 9 on downstream to 11.

I have plugged the modem into the main test socket and disconnected all extensions, the result is no better.

Here are my previous speed test results from this site : (the low upload speed on second entry was when we moved from IPStream to WBMC on the interconnection)
20/05/12 20:50 Sun 6792 Kbps 751 Kbps 139.92.23.68 work
28/03/12 09:41 Wed 5793 Kbps 365 Kbps 32.106.98.45 work
12/03/12 17:43 Mon 6162 Kbps 696 Kbps 139.92.106.203 work
21/09/09 08:58 Mon 6135 Kbps 615 Kbps 139.92.20.218 work

and here is my test today :
04/09/12 14:34 Tue 1503 Kbps 564 Kbps 139.92.19.58 work

BTW speedtest (further diagnostics) shows :
Download speed achieved : 1.63Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 1.58Mbps
Upload speed achieved 0.49Mbps
Upstream Rate Profile 0.83Mbps

So where does the problem lie ? I want my ISP to chase this and restore it to being as it was before the outage on the 23rd (if thats possible). I also would like to know how I can measure my distance to exchange (straight line and wired ?)

Any pointers much appreciated.
For your telephone line straight line distance from your home to the telephone exchange, input your telephone number and post code. Click on [Search] then [Locality]. wink

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Sep-12 17:47:23
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

To be honest, you would get a better idea using google maps plotting a road route between the two points.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Sep-12 18:58:45
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Why do you always quote entire post to which you are replying?

It's not necessary and makes it hard to follow.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 04-Sep-12 18:59:14)

Standard User ih8modem
(newbie) Tue 18-Sep-12 09:32:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well I thought I would return and just let anyone that's interested know the outcome.

After the line restored I never synced higher than 2.2Mb - I got our helpdesk to raise a fault with BT a few times, who eventually said actually yes they do see a problem - the line is running high errors.

They decided to reset everything overnight and dispatch an engineer to my house. This morning when the engineer arrived he was able to sync at 7424Kb downstream (Master Socket). He also checked all the wiring and eventually replaced the face plate as well, due to it being the old type with screws - the new ones have Krone punch-in. He did however find that the DB ratio (might not be the right term) at the exchange was set to 12dB. He mentioned he would reset it to 6dB and hard code it. After this had been done, my sync is 8128Kb down.

So in the end it was worth persevering, no-one can explain why it never got above 2.2Mb after the fault though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Sep-12 09:42:45
Print Post

That's good smile. Strange that he hasn't any idea what was wrong with what he replaced though.

You say "hard-coded" the 6db. That's another oddity. Please could you post the current stats?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Sep-12 19:54:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You say "hard-coded" the 6db. That's another oddity.

Engineers can request that the profile is 'hard pinned' to a 6db target SNR. My concern is that, without 'fixing' anything, just having a profile reset might just mask, and temporarily fix the underlying issue.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Sep-12 21:27:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I hear what you say, but it depends how that 8128kbps cap has been achieved.

He is on an ADSL2+ connection, and at that attenuation with no capping of sync or fixing of noise margin I would expect to see approaching 14Mbps sync at 6dB.

An ADSL Max 8128kbps cap, (how it's done on a WBC connection I don't know), would probably have given a noise margin of 18dB or so, which was quite common. That sounds to me a lot better than 6dB.

The original margin around 11dB indicates some other problem preventing that, and the best way of finding out what is going on in my opinion is to monitor the noise margin without it being fixed. The 6dB fix (cap?) will either make the line lose connection frequently, or the opposite - completely mask the underlying problem you mention.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to