General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 04-Sep-12 19:11:18
Print Post

What ADSL do exchanges now support

[link to this post]

Bit of a stupid question.

When broadband started we had ADSL 512k, then 1m & 2M in stages.
We then had ADSL Max which allowed up to 8M
Finally we had adsl2+ which allowed up to 24M (if you had a house next to the exchange)

Are BT removing the original ADSL hardware from the exchanges and just leaving the ADSL max hardware or or ADSL 2+ hardware?

In essence at some exchanges is it that you can no longer order an original Adsl line, but you get one of the others?

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Sep-12 19:39:39
Print Post

Re: What ADSL do exchanges now support

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I don't think BT still do Fixed ADSL tho' their checker still offers it. At least I've not heard of anyone having it except by mistake of their ISP.

There is also FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) VADSL2 offering up to 80 Meg, or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) even more.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-12 21:03:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Plenty of exchanges still have ADSL max equipment, even in those with BTw 21cn kit.

Still sometimes see fixed speed services, especially in businesses where the circuit does a simple link to a specified server.

Should also be noted that even with the 21cn kit, if ordered by the CP, it can still just be kicking out 8128Kbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-12 21:06:42
Print Post

ADSL Max was just a marketing term for removing the artificial cap that they had put on when selling 2Mbit or slower speeds.

As mentioned above, we have ADSL2+ (at BT 21CN exchanges or via LLU) and now VDSL2 via BT FTTC Cabinets.

This might be a good article to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Sep-12 21:13:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Plenty of exchanges still have ADSL max equipment, even in those with BTw 21cn kit.
I never denied ADSL Max. I was talking about Fixed ADSL,

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kitcat
(member) Tue 04-Sep-12 21:36:40
Print Post

A couple of months ago BT gave notice to CPs (BT Wholesale I think) that a list of exchanges whould have ADSL service (IPstream & Datastream)withdrawn from a date in the future, Dec 12 or March 13 I can't remember which.

So on the listed exchanges they are removing the original hardware. There seemed to be an intent to do more exchanges every 3 months where WBC (ADSL2+) was available. I presume this would enable them to recover the ATM kit from these exchanges as well as this must be getting wornout now. WBC is all via Ethernet so doesn't need ATM.

see article in June but it doesn't show the list that appeared later.

This PDF give a CP briefing that says all IPstream and Datastream will be withdrawn in exchanges with WBC/21C deployed by spring 2014 see slides 6-9.

This links to an aquiss forum article slightly later
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:35:55
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
WBC is all via Ethernet so doesn't need ATM.
?
Am I misunderstanding something there, or have you just explained it not too well?

No ATM in the backhaul I agree, but Ethernet there instead?

ATM is of course still used from the exchange to the premises on ADSLx connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to