General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FYI
(newbie) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:47:39
Print Post

Speed drop

[link to this post]

I have fibre optic installed and at the router i have 50mbs but only have 18/19 on my laptop is this speed loss normal.My router is in my front porch and i cannot get any internet upstairs possible router problem or just setup? Router is the latest gigabit Cisco
Thanks
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 08-Sep-12 23:21:17
Print Post

Re: Speed drop

[re: FYI] [link to this post]

How are you connected? Wired or wireless?

If wireless then the speed can often be well below the sync speed. And if so, try a wired connection to see what speed you can achieve.

As for the upstairs problem ... draw an imaginary line from the router to where you are trying to connect. How many walls and of what type does the line pass though, then add in the floor - solid? Wood? Underfloor heating?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User FYI
(newbie) Sun 09-Sep-12 07:43:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

When hard wired to the router it is 50mbs and wireless around 18mbs did not think i should be that much of a drop. As for upstairs i can recieve my neighbours broadand in my house so strange i cannot recieve mine, the installation company told me it was my house phones causing interference could this be true?
Thnaks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Sep-12 08:05:36
Print Post

It might be worth, before throwing any money at this, finding a friend or neighbour, whose laptop does get good speeds wirelessly, and borrowing that.
If this shows good speeds, then it's time for a new wireless adaptor for the laptop.
If not, then time for running in some network cabling in the house, or maybe powerline adaptors.
the installation company told me it was my house phones causing interference could this be true?

Hugely unlikely.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Sep-12 10:27:19
Print Post

You could try to log onto the router and change the wireless channel and keep trying a different one to see if one performs better than another.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Sep-12 12:33:57
Print Post

What specification of wireless are you using?

802.11g in practice has a maximum around the speed you are getting.

Devices like this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as... can help extend range of wireless, and the performance testing section gives you an idea for how wireless speeds vary from room to room

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to