General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Mon 10-Sep-12 17:06:04
Print Post

Problem with Openreach - can we do anything else?

[link to this post]

Hello All,

Can anyone give us advice on this?

We ordered a BT line for my son's student flat in Sheffield on 3rd August. We ordered the line separately because we wanted to use one of the smaller ISPs (ZEN, Xilo, Clara etc.)

The lead time was huge - and we had to accept an engineer's appointment for today - 10th September.

On 5th September we got texts stating that the exisitng line could be activated without an engineer's visit. The BT order tracking site was updated similarly.

As a result of these messages we changed travel plans - and he is still at home 100 miles away.

Come 10th September we get a voicemail from the BT engineer seeking access to the flat.

We get onto a BT Call Centre and they contact Openreach who offer to put us at the back of the - long - queue again with an activation date of mid-October.

After some dialogue we were put into escalation and we are now waiting a call back from the Escalation Team - which we are promised in 48 hours.

Meanwhile on the order tracking screen our original order has disappeared.

Back to teh Call Centre who eventually were able to tell us that our original VOLxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx order has been replaced by a BTCAxxxxxxxx order. We cannot yet track that on the BT website.

Having to wait until mid-October for internet access is going to be really difficult for him academically and socially - especially when we ordered at the beginning of August.

Does anybody know if we've done all we can do - or if there are other escalation routes we can follow?

Thnak in advance for any help that can be given.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Sep-12 17:52:19
Print Post

Re: Problem with Openreach - can we do anything else?

[re: woodlander] [link to this post]

Not being available for the install date was the real problem, generally if an existing line has dial tone then it can be activated without an indoor visit, but always best to assume that they may want access.

Currently with the level of faults from weather, and copper thefts there is a backlog of work, hence long lead times. So short of paying for a business level of service you are down a long queue.

In the mean time get a 3G mobile connection with unlimited data, and for the academic stuff might just have to spend more time on campus.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 07:56:13
Print Post

Re: Problem with Openreach - one solved - now a new one

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response - here is an update.

After logging a complaint on the BT site I got a very prompt call back from a guy in BT who could not have been more helpful and assiduous - with the result that the engineer's visit was re-scheduled for am Monday 17/9. We got dialling tone immediately and by 14.00 that day we had email confirmation that the line was active.

However after 24 hours my ISP tells me that the number is still not showing up as a BT line on the system they use with Openreach.

I've checked again this morning on the BT website and this is still the case.

I can understand why these things may take an overnight batch to update - but given that we've now waited over two nights am I right in inferring that there is a continuing problem with this line which I may have to try again to escalate within BT/Openreach?

Again - any help on how these things work and can be rectified is much appreciated.

rgds

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 08:48:22
Print Post

Have you checked the phone works, and the number? The Quiet Line Test tells you the number at the start, or calling a mobile that shows incoming call ID of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 10:11:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks

Yes both 17070 and CLID return the number that we are seeking to enbale for broadband.

rgds
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Sep-12 10:23:19
Print Post

I thought it could take up to 5 working days for a new line to show up on the various broadband ordering systems.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 19-Sep-12 10:37:35
Print Post

What does the BT Wholesale checker say for the phone number? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 10:40:06
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale Broadband Avaialbility Checker says that this process 'usually' takes 24 hours. But that very occaisionally it fails. In which case it can takes weeks - presumably for their manual processes to catch up.

I suppose I'm asking for help on ways to accelerate/escalate this.

rgds
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 10:43:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The BT checker says that

'there is no data avaialble fo this line.........If it is a new line.....' connection is usuallly within 24 hrs.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 11:11:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodlander:
Yes both 17070 and CLID return the number that we are seeking to enbale for broadband.
Ah tongue. So you ordered a phone/broadband bundle.

(That's exactly the sort of typo I do several times per post, but usually pick up on preview).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to