General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gogetem
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:17:17
Print Post

Want to change from TT to o2 byt im on a "private line"???

[link to this post]

Hello,

Ive just found this informative site when trying to resolve a query I have.

Ive been with TalkTalk for a number of years & service has been so-so.. my contract ran out in April but Im still with them - due to being baffled by what I need to do... anyway, today I rang o2 as it seems they offer a good deal and service; they checked the telephone number and said talktalk have put me onto a private line (never heard of that before..) and that to have a contract with them theyd have to send an openreach engineer (£43) to set up a "normal" line.

Anyway, it just seems a bit complicated. I am prepared to go through the business of leaving TT though and fancy a change!

Can you advise whats the best option. I dont fancy losing broadband & home phone during the transfer. Equally if I could avoid engineer charges that would be helpful.

Many thanks

Fran
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:35:38
Print Post

Re: Want to change from TT to o2 byt im on a "private line"?

[re: gogetem] [link to this post]

The line needs to be moved off of the Talktalk hardware at the exchange, which means there is often a cost associated with moving to someone else.

Beyond agreeing to fees and saying yes to move, what are your worries?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:45:12
Print Post

By "private line" they mean, or you understood, a phone line provided by TT themselves, rather than one provided by BT Wholesale Line Rental (WLR) as happens with most other ISPs.

This method is called Full LLU and is operated only by TT and Sky. It is the same for nearly all their users and is not specific to you.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gogetem
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:46:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

My worries - possibly unfounded - are that Im left without broadband/phone during the changeover.

Im out of contract so presumably it should be straightforward??

In an earlier post someone had suggested moving pstn back to BT to negate the costs but perhaps this was earlier in the year ???

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:48:11
Print Post

There can be days or a week or so without service, but this should not happen.

BT Retail is pretty good at doing offers so its cheap to move to them, but also long 18 month contracts, call costs may be more etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gogetem
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:51:40
Print Post

Thanks.

The o2 rep said I could challenge TT on the fact that I was not told I was moved from openreach to private line - not sure if its worth the hassle though?

Still, £43 quid is better in my pocket smile
Standard User gogetem
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:53:00
Print Post

Based on good feedback I'd decided to move to o2 for broadband & phone + international phone calls - the reason Id moved to TT a few years back.

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:57:37
Print Post

Thats a load of rubbish.

No requirement on any teleco to tell you how they implement their service, it is down to us the consumer to consider costs of changing at a later date.

All TalkTalk might do is offer you a slightly better deal to stay with them

ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Wed 12-Sep-12 13:01:28
Print Post

hi All,

For Clarification all customers are informed that lines are migrated to TT equipment in the exchange via both the sales scripts and from the Terms and Conditions.

As part of our sales complaince scripts customers are advised that the line is provided via TalkTalk and not BT.

The terms and conditions also refer to this:

General LLU Provisions
How we provide the Services to you
Local Loop Unbundling

1.21 Developments in Network technology (known as Local Loop Unbundling or “LLU”) may enable us to provide fixed line Services to you through our own Network rather than a third party Network. We will let you know when these developments occur. If you have previously agreed to take our LR service we may transfer you to our LLU network but we will still offer the same Services to you as those which you received from us before the transfer

1.22 On the day that we transfer you to our LLU network, you may experience a temporary loss of Service of up to 24 hours. Afterwards, you may also have to re-set your access numbers and/or passwords.

1.23 Unless you have agreed previously to take our Broadband Service, we will seek your express consent before transferring you to our LLU network if you take a broadband service from another provider on the same telephone line at the time of transfer.

1.24 When you have been transferred to our LLU network, you need to be aware that:

1.24.1 you may no longer be able to use some telecommunications services you purchase from other telephone providers, such as indirect access services (whether using the BT 1280 or other indirect access codes);

1.24.2 you will no longer be able to use Broadband or Line Rental Services from other providers. We will not be liable for any charges which may arise as a result of the termination of your contract with your existing providers for those services;

1.24.3 if you want to switch one or more of your services to another telephone provider, we may have to provide your remaining Service(s) through another Network. You accept that you may have to pay additional charges for receiving Services from us in that case.

Regards

Mark
TalKTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to